what you currently enjoying ?

mms

sometimes
kind sunny ade, the ones released in nigeria and the ones like juju music which were on virgin fantastic and lush mix of studio trickery and futuristic fx's and more traditional stuff.

also stuff like magas, goudron etc, from the erstaz audio label from ages ago, esp a track by tamoin called 'do the devil dance ' which is like burlesque booty bass with a real rockabilly feel, about as sexy and dirty as music gets really, that kinda 50's rock n roll techno that came out of electroclash was a really interesting and good little pocket of innovation that didn't really amount to much more than a handful of records.

datura

white collar loafer
Pulling out a load of dub/dj lps to try and help me through stripping wallpaper..just when you think you've got it all, another sneaky patch suddenly appears.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm so late on this, which is strange given my love of Falke, but, well, there's no words to say how lovely this is:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I think it has tons of funk just not in the black funk sense, more like italo/white disco/awkward EBM/cock rock funk. That stiff 80s 4/4 smacking over the chuggy 8th note basslines... The Lifelike mix of Heartbreak's Don't Stop is magic for that. Static but propulsive.

I've enjoyed the whiter / colder tangent a lot over the past few years.

Kitten & Hackers track Hometown was a masterpiece in that regard; the interlocking synth lines and bassline and general rhythm sense are so white and soooooo good.

Or Electroclash Hell... depending on your outlook.

Have you heard the Hercules and Love Affair album? Seems like something you may like...definitely inspired by early 90s house and disco and very danceable...I usually don't like that guy from Anthony and the Johnsons but I think his vocals are decent on this...

Benny Bunter

Big!

Nasty Jack - Shotta Music

That track you played on your radio show sounded mint. Loved how the vocals were all reverby, like on Ice rink. And you say all the stuff on there is yardie bizness like this one? Might have to be my first grime mixtape purchase in ages...

john eden

male pale and stale
That track you played on your radio show sounded mint. Loved how the vocals were all reverby, like on Ice rink. And you say all the stuff on there is yardie bizness like this one? Might have to be my first grime mixtape purchase in ages...

Oh wow, glad you checked that out, Benny!

Yes I think it's a great mixtape - that is the best track on it but the rest (which mainly feature Nasty Jack, Stormin etc) are well up to scratch. Lots of minimal production with overdriven bass and riddim, fast chat etc.

Well worth checking out, I think UKrecordshop has mp3 previews and maybe HMV also. Some people on grimeforum are bitching about Logan hosting it but that doesn't put me off (I think his voice is absent from the download version).

Client Eastwood

Big!

Er... Aim High 1&2
Nasty Jack - Shotta Music
The Wiley stuff on grimetapes
Junior Ross and The Spear on Blood and Fire
That Grievous Angel folk thing
Woofah issue 3

Seconded on the GA folk thing. Not heard Sheila Chandra's voice for ages and it was real good to hear it again and mixed with the dubstep was double good.

What's this show you do John is it online or local station ?

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Seconded on the GA folk thing. Not heard Sheila Chandra's voice for ages and it was real good to hear it again and mixed with the dubstep was double good.

What's this show you do John is it online or local station ?

It's definitely one of those things which manages to catapult its constituent parts into something entirely new, I think...

The show is a podcast thing on the blog -

http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2008/11/rsi-radio-volume-3/

it's fun to do, but not exactly professional, ha ha.

Uncle Murder- "Back On My Bullshit"

The last hope for American hip-hop in terms of my continued appreciation are this guy, Ransom & Killer Mike. Just real gritty shit, Murder dropping that old school soul sample loop stuff, laidback goon delivery, crude sexual references and everything else that's good about non-PC NY rap. There's even a song called "I'm So High" for fuck's sake.

G-Force- "No Mersh"/"Better Late Than Never"

Forest Gate goons make music that's hard. What else to say.

tom lea

I didn't know about this john! making me look forward to work on monday more than i usually do.

really feeling right now:

thomas brinkmann - when horses die
herbert - bodily functions
zomby - 'the lie' (lv mix)
zomby - 'rumours and revelations'
the blackdown/dusk mix on m.a.h.
ramadanman's howie b refix
animal collective - 'my girls'
neil landstrumm - lord for 39
heatwave's FACT mix

not feeling as much as i thought i would:

beirut - march of the zapotec. feels phoned in.