what you currently enjoying ?

zhao

there are no accidents
zhao in 3, 2, 1... :p

oh gosh i hope i'm not getting pegged as the rockist authenticity kurmudgen... my objections to things are never because they are "inauthentic" but rather because the "inauthentic" simply usually never sound nearly as good as the real shit. i would love it if they did.

Last edited:

e/y

oh gosh i hope i'm not getting pegged as the rockist authenticity kurmudgen...

not at all - I just recall reading in a few old threads (this is what I do for fun...) that you (strongly?) disliked that album.

I suppose the extent of my enjoyment of it was at least in some part due to the fact that it was something completely new to me, as I hadn't been exposed to the original music before.

Leo

yeah, i know nothing about cumbia, the only other record i own is the "columbia! the golden age of discos fuentes" comp which i believe zhao recommended earlier. i just like the sound of "rio arriba". some of it is a little abstract, which is a surprising combination for that style, imho.

zhao, i'm open to any other recommendations.

zhao

there are no accidents
i don't remember saying that i hated that particular record, only the one ZZK show i saw left me SEVERELY annoyed - diploesque blog-cumbia puke. but of course 1 show does not represent an entire label, or "Nu-Cumbia" altogether. (the artist was Fauna, and while i don't think i'll be checking out their stuff any time soon, it is possible that they have better material).

there are 1 or 2 re-edits on these pages, the rest are unearthed nuggets from the golden age of Colombia (and maybe Peru and some other places), all downloadable wavs:

http://soundcloud.com/estropical
http://soundcloud.com/estropical2

also check some of the Sofrito records mixes. amazing shit.

but Cumbia is of course but 1 style from Colombia...

muser

I think bersa discos is best for the "blog cumbia" thing, always have prefered overall what they've done to ZZK anyway.

zhao

there are no accidents
went to another ZZK party tonight. much better than the fauna bullshit. 80 bpm slow cumbia electro-bass with enough traces of the soul of the people to warrant a solid set. can't remember dude's name though even after being introduced... will find out and get back.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
a dissensian pointed this out to me on facebook:

LANA DEL REY: EXPOSED. B4 she was alt, she was a failed mnstrm artist without fake lips

not that it makes too big a difference.

but after all, yes it's really well thought out and positioned, and yes it works, and yes i was able to let myself be seduced for a few minutes, but it is what it is, and (not because of the article) that really doesn't amount to much.

Agree - it does not make much of a difference. Imagine someone like Scott Walker (a former member of a pop-group consisting of fake brothers! exposed) or David Sylvian (former "most beautiful man in the world", member of Japan: a band who certainly weren't authentic - faux metal, then synthetic pop, then Tin Drum?) were starting out today.

The "indie blogosphere" (is there such a singular thing?) would have lambasted and killed them off for not being "authentic". Lana gone mainstream big time this week (Sunday Times spread), good luck to her and may the indie blogosphere eat shit.

The whole debate reminds me of that saying on kids' toys:
Wood is good, but plastic is fantastic.

CrowleyHead

You forget the inherent classism of Indie. While not as so typical as British Indie, American Indie is always stereotyped to be this return to roots thing. After all, the alt-country movement was born of the american indie rock scene, and many of their stars looked back on stuff like the 60's Laurel Canyon movement.

However, the big trend in indie now is moving towards an almost 'new-pop' style sound born of the so called 'slutwave' pop music trends, and the revival of synth led indie-pop in the 'chillwave' market competing with the more rootsy noise-guitar-rawk crowd. For someone to so crassly market themselves in this way is probably really appalling to such an already strained genre field...

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
really enjoying this, old computer game music from Lost Eden, but sounds like a chunkier new-age future garage dub

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TXECIetfo2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

friend Recsund put it with an animation of a car engine being assembled

Last edited:

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
I think I posted this in the R&B thread a while back but it deserves more widespread acclaim. It's nigh-on unbelievably stupid, but also excellent, and I keep singing it to myself, often at inopportune moments (i.e. within earshot of girls). It's not on Youtube so you will need to click on the link.

A Sumptuous Blowjob

Seriously, your life is empty without it.