Papercut

cut to the bone
i kind of like noble. i seem to remember some cheap monkey/stephen hawking bit he did that was somewhat funny. he does kind of wing it though which is something to admire.

Stand ups a bit like a personality test really. i wonder if people would like the same jokes better from a different person that conformed more to a model of people they feel more comfortable with.

that said, i'd ask questions about a person who didn't like stewert lee. he's at least trying to do something with the form/language etc.

grizzleb

Yeah Stewart Lee is good. As is Frannkie Boyle, yeah he rehashes jokes but fuck - all his material is funny. IMO.

He can be sharp as fuck on the panel shows too.

polystyle

Bumping Sonic Yoof.
After reading about so much 'news' ,
TM 'co writing' books ( anyone actually read the no wave book ? nice photos sure , but ...) ,
starting a publishing house, curating a Bowie video program,
'The year punk broke' ( yeah right, what year did punk break ? '76 wasn't it ?).
Enough already ...

craner

Beast of Burden
Clive James, sort of. I mean, to the extant that no one ever mentions that he's a bit crap. Ian Penman was a much better TV critic!

Leo

Bumping Sonic Yoof.
After reading about so much 'news' ,
TM 'co writing' books ( anyone actually read the no wave book ? nice photos sure , but ...) ,
starting a publishing house, curating a Bowie video program,
'The year punk broke' ( yeah right, what year did punk break ? '76 wasn't it ?).
Enough already ...

ha! the yoof don't sell that many records anymore, so he has to pay the rent somehow, plus there's coco's college fund...

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
I posted on this thread a wee while ago to say that I thought Untold was overrated. Having bought his new EP I would now like to withdraw that comment

Benny Bunter

yeah, I thought Untold was a bit overrated at first too but that new EP is ace, best thing I've heard by him. Pulse X bass drops!

Ory

warp drive
hmm I still think a lot of it sounds a bit forced. except the last track on that EP, that one's lush. can't wait to see what he'll come up with next tho.

CrowleyHead

Even though he's going to be a relentless sacred cow for me...

Can somebody, PLEASE, tell Flying Lotus, he's not a jazz musician?

When Simon Reynolds went on his whole "Hyperdub is the new Rephlex" diatribe (which admittedly, was as far-fetched as my Wiley Big-Up theory), the only thing I could agree on was the fact that Brainfeeder are so fucking trite.

I keep finding footage of Computer Jay and GLK and all of these guys 'jamming', and I'm like, "OH, GOD! ENOUGH!"

grizzleb

Even though he's going to be a relentless sacred cow for me...

Can somebody, PLEASE, tell Flying Lotus, he's not a jazz musician?

When Simon Reynolds went on his whole "Hyperdub is the new Rephlex" diatribe (which admittedly, was as far-fetched as my Wiley Big-Up theory), the only thing I could agree on was the fact that Brainfeeder are so fucking trite.

I keep finding footage of Computer Jay and GLK and all of these guys 'jamming', and I'm like, "OH, GOD! ENOUGH!"
Hahah too right. Flying Lotus' beats are ridiculously weak. Flabby, floppy kick drums. No punch in any of his recordings. Well, Parisian Goldfish maybe...

I actually think this EP is more evidence of over-ratedness from Untold. Those stupid big kicks? They sound so fucking cheap.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
tea leaf dancers is about the only thing i bother with from flylo, first track i heard by him n'all, was well gutted to find out the rest of his stuff is what it is.

CrowleyHead

Like I said, I love his beats. This is not what irritates me.

What irritates me is this post-Madlib, "Oh nah B. We're not just beat-makers. We're MUSICIANS..." attitude that the whole Brainfeeder crew have. Worse yet is Flylo's constant crying about 'biters'... and then he signs people who are hideously derivitave of him to Brainfeeder.

I'm going to say it now, though I hope otherwise: Flying Lotus' next album will be a piece of trash. He'll have the crackhead stylings of Gonja Sufi, more obnoxious IDM references, sloppy attempts at ripping off Burial, among billions of other misteps.

At least "Butter" gave me the best Prince song since "Black Sweat"...