mms

sometimes
I like his mad end of the pier type tunes more than the last album he done, which tries to go a bit serious, with limited succss IMO. At least the weirdo organ tunes have a bit of originality, even if it is a gimmick more than anything.

i kinda like what he does but it hasn't changed since i bought that first caretaker cd years ago, at the time i did a fanzine and compared two types of memory, comparing the caretaker stuff with boards of canada as it goes, and symptoms of senility.

Also the dourness, is just massively off putting, it used to be impotent vandalism and anger now it's just moaning and depression.

grizzleb

It's an affectation more than anything else I think. Yeah that sounds like a cool idea, the two memories. Would like to take a look at that if it was still extant.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Jesus, I never thought I'd have to hear Rage Against the Machine ever again, and now they might be Xmas number one?!?! What they have to say seems fine overall - just please don't play any music, ever, please.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Jesus, I never thought I'd have to hear Rage Against the Machine ever again, and now they might be Xmas number one?!?! What they have to say seems fine overall - just please don't play any music, ever, please.

REBELLION!!! TM!

There are certainly worse bands in the Nu-Metal field... Somebody recently made me listen to Sevendust again *shudder* Dark times, dark times...

scottdisco

rip this joint please

i'm clearly a grumpy old fart, but the amount of mates who are updating their Facebook status to reflect they've joined their Christmas number one group: :mad:

i will say this though - the singer from Sevendust had better hair than Zack.

CrowleyHead

i'm clearly a grumpy old fart, but the amount of mates who are updating their Facebook status to reflect they've joined their Christmas number one group: :mad:

i will say this though - the singer from Sevendust had better hair than Zack.

Better hair, could sing fairly decently...

Shit band though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Even as an angry 17 year old I used to groan when Killing in The Name Of came on in a club. Set next to Teen Spirit, it sounds like a joke.

Still, reading RATM's Wikipedia page, I respect their taking action for some of the causes they support, and not just talking about them. But their music...yikes.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Has anyone said Dilla yet? I love the Donuts instrumental album, and was looking fwd to catching up on the stuff he's famous for (largely passed me by) with two albums purporting to be 'best ofs' (singles by Busta, Tribe etc etc, so presume that's true). With a few notable exceptions, so bland to my ears... :(

grizzleb

Has anyone said Dilla yet? I love the Donuts instrumental album, and was looking fwd to catching up on the stuff he's famous for (largely passed me by) with two albums purporting to be 'best ofs' (singles by Busta, Tribe etc etc, so presume that's true). With a few notable exceptions, so bland to my ears... :(
That's bad news. If you like hip-hop I'd call you a cunt if you aren't into Dilla.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's bad news. If you like hip-hop I'd call you a cunt if you aren't into Dilla.

Tut. Typical foul-mouthed Dilla fans! I do like hip-hop, and I sat through 2 hours of Dilla tunes and...blah. He's good, sure, but ridiculous to compare him to Premier or RZA...it's just not as exciting. I'm sure it's technically faultless, but that's not of interest. I do like that Tribe tune with Faith Evans though.

zhao

there are no accidents
dilla did amazing innovative stuff for sure, in terms of hiphop, in terms of musique concrete, in terms of psychedelia... but man was NOT without dull moments, contrary to what a lot of new fans gathered round his posthumous hype would like to believe.

mms

sometimes
dilla did amazing innovative stuff for sure, in terms of hiphop, in terms of musique concrete, in terms of psychedelia... but man was NOT without dull moments, contrary to what a lot of new fans gathered round his posthumous hype would like to believe.

true, those twats with 'dilla saved my life' on it. bullshit, dilla died so that you could wear your shit t-shirt.

zhao

there are no accidents
whats more, a lotta that dilla copy cat shit is plain terrible sounding rubbish, and not in a good way.

a better name for a lotta Wonky would be Wanky.

zhao

there are no accidents
anyhow I'm on a classic minimalist kick all weekend and it strikes me that perhaps the ultimate nominee for this thread would be

lamonte.jpg

Last edited:

grizzleb

Tut. Typical foul-mouthed Dilla fans! I do like hip-hop, and I sat through 2 hours of Dilla tunes and...blah. He's good, sure, but ridiculous to compare him to Premier or RZA...it's just not as exciting. I'm sure it's technically faultless, but that's not of interest. I do like that Tribe tune with Faith Evans though.
I think overall in consistency Dilla has one up over RZA. I know what you mean about exciting but I think alot of people who knock out solid as fuck, functional shit get that levelled at them. His work may not all be exciting but as hip-hop production goes it's basically up there with the best IMO. Attention to detail is ridiculous if you listen close. And the sign of a master producer is when all that detail just slips into the background...This is Dilla's strength IMO.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I was going to complain for the nth time in this thread that being overrated (in your opinion) is not the same thing as being a sacred cow. But this post pulled the rug out from under me...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I respect their taking action for some of the causes they support

the EZLN, 110%. Tibetan Freedom & Mumia & all that college leftist checklist stuff, OK I guess. the anti-corporate line even though we're on a label owned by Sony* & use Ticketmaster & have videos on MTV is a bit much to swallow but alright. but Sendero Luminoso, absolutely not. Tom Morello's politics are pretty underdeveloped (which is surprising given his degree in Poli Sci from Harvard) but Shining Path were seriously f**ked up. all the worst parts of Maoism compressed into one insane group. I'm not going to bother listing them; anyone interested can look it up.

it just pains me to see the EZLN lumped in with crazy butchers like the Shining Path.

*when I was in Chiapas years ago the people from Chiapas Indymedia told me that de la Rocha had personally paid for most of their computer equipment, so tbf personal kudos to him for putting his Sony record $ where his mouth is

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
it just pains me to see the EZLN lumped in with crazy butchers like the Shining Path.

*when I was in Chiapas years ago the people from Chiapas Indymedia told me that de la Rocha had personally paid for most of their computer equipment, so tbf personal kudos to him for putting his Sony record $ where his mouth is

fair enough - i didn't read deeply into the details, just googled and noted that they had done certain things for the Zapatistas. Didn't realise about the Shining Path/RATM connection