gumdrops

ummah wasnt exactly amazing either (prob cos a lot of it was actually just dilla in the early days, still finding his feet - those pharcyde beats he did arent much to write home about). still, dillas work on the last tribe album (with tip and ali, admittedly - sometimes i think dilla was best working with someone else, see tip's amplified too, esp tribe, as they had a better idea of how to engineer and 'finish' a record than dilla seemed to) is well underrated.

Last edited:

grizzleb

yeah ummah beats are much better than dillas for tribe. not close. i was slagging off dilla while he was alive all the time. loads of people were.
he wasn't just associated with atcq's shit period, he made a shit album with pharcyde as well. and he made beats for common when common went shit.... bit of a theme developing here isn't there?
the beats are utterly dull and inert, and, with a few excpetions, the people who champion are equally dull and inert.
Haha!
No, the music you like makes you a shit person. I've already explained that whilst much oif his music could be called 'bland'. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing ( I see it in terms of functionalism/mass appeal).

Anyway, I just think he's a great hip-hop producer. And there's very few beat tapes that work as well as Donuts does as an album.

Yes, there's loads of comparable underappreciated producers, and death does bring on mythologising, I'd agree. But whatever, I enjoy his music, and see it as remarkably consistent (despite aformentioned "blandness").

mms

sometimes
much prefer the second pharcyde album, they're less winey, first album hurt my ears, the beats are great on that 2nd one, dillas and everyone elses.

gumdrops

much prefer the second pharcyde album, they're less winey, first album hurt my ears, the beats are great on that 2nd one, dillas and everyone elses.

so wrong. 2nd album was pretty dull tbh, barring a small baby-sized handful of songs. beats were totally lacking in flavour or interesting sounds. like boom bap made using one of those early hip hop production plug ins. they fell off when they lost j swift imo. like slum village after they lost dilla ironically.

didnt read lukas post til just now - but yeah, hes spot on about dilla beats often being inert, plodding, and also just using a lot of really flat drum sounds that were like damp cardboard. and he was def a major part of several previously good artists' decline. though to be fair, commons decline really started when he hooked up with the roots. hmm, the roots and dilla = instant downfall. common made resurrection, then hooked up with the roots and he picks a load of really dull, solid but flat beats (one day itll all make sense) then makes a super-soft album with the roots AND dilla (LWFC) that only has about 6 songs worth keeping. somehow tribe managed to get back on track after BRL. im guessing they made sure dilla didnt do anything all by himself on that one.

Last edited:

crackerjack

so wrong. 2nd album was really really dull tbh

very true

, commons decline really started when he hooked up with the roots. hmm, the roots and dilla = instant downfall. common made resurrection, then hooked up with the roots and he picks a load of really dull, solid but flat beats (one day itll all make sense) then makes a super-soft album with the roots AND dilla (LWFC) that only has about 6 songs worth keeping. somehow tribe managed to get back on track after BRL. im guessing they made sure dilla didnt do anything all by himself on that one.

So, so wrong. LWFC is his best album and One Day only had one Roots-related track that I can see, the rest is all No ID (who also made Resurrection).

gumdrops

i dunno, maybe no id fell off around then too. hip hop beats were changing around that time too, which prob played a part, but resurrection is commons illmatic really. lwfc is just the one that broke him and made his name.

mms

sometimes
so wrong. 2nd album was pretty dull tbh, b
that's so impolite i feel embarrased for your parents.

i personally disagree with you, the first albums pretty fun but the second album for me, lyrically and in terms of beats is great, you know running away, she said, drop, are better than yo mama etc, which sound a bit childish, maybe i have better memories of that second album too. driving around in the sun with my girlfriend at the time for the whole of the summer. The third album however is just dreadful.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

crackerjack

that's so impolite i feel embarrased for your parents.

i personally disagree with you, the first albums pretty fun but the second album for me, lyrically and in terms of beats is great, you know running away, she said, drop, are better than yo mama etc, which sound a bit childish, maybe i have better memories of that second album too. driving around in the sun with my girlfriend at the time for the whole of the summer. The third album however is just dreadful.

Never heard the third. Humboldt Beginnings, however, is rather nice.

luka

what the second album has going for it is running away and the sublime moments in time which is the best thing they ever did and the most moving song in hip-hop (possibly) otherwise its so dull its unlistenable....
like water for chocolate i think is a mess, i think one day is better than that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
LWFC made me think I hated Common for a while. Until I retrospectively heard H.E.R. and realilsed it was one of the best singles ever made. Now I like him.

gumdrops

if you think thats impolite, you clearly havent visited many other message boards. i dont really take kindly to people saying they 'feel sorry for my parents' but for your delicate sensibilities, i shall rephrase. i respectfully disagree my dear mms. i personally believe the first pharcyde album is far superior, mostly due to its more colourful production but also, just because the mcing is just so much more animated. the 2nd one has she said, which i quite like, runnin, and drop (theres a beatminerz remix thats worth a listen and better than the original imo) but overall it just felt like the fire had gone and they were trying to sound more 'mature' and basically shake off the humour of the debut. there is humour on bizare ryde but theres also tracks like otha fish, passin me by, and a few others i cant quite remember now which show they could do way more than just play the dozens (ya mama). basically, imo, when it comes to 'serious' hip hop 2nd albums, de la soul is dead, low end theory, black bastards, etc, are all more succesful than labcabin.

Last edited: