thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Don't know how to quote from other threads properly, but this is a post of Tim F's that I always remember from that infamous 2stepintellipostdubstep thread

Probably the most pernicious binary is the one between binaries or their lack: as if the self-evident truth that a theory of music or set of aesthetic preferences cannot explain all that is good about music necessitates their abandoment in favour of pure flux.

Most of the things talked about in this thread are tendential: the existence of a continuum, the importance of "street"/"rudeboy" elements, the music's relationship to questions of class. Like anything tendential, contradictions and counter-examples abound.

If SR was on this thread he would say the same, and further, that those contradictions and counter-examples feed back into the overarching structure of the trend, that e.g. Foul Play gentrifying (from the OG "Open Your Mind" through to "Being With You" et. al) really established the limits of what "rudeboy" possibly could mean (and undeniably, there is a trip-limit there, where "intelligent" jungle stops signifying hardcore, but where that limit is precisely not surprisingly is and always has been contested).

Marcus playing Ramadanman or Mosca is another example of this. But as a fact in and of itself its capacity to illuminate is limited. The next question is: which Ramadanman and Mosca, and why? Which Dennis Ferrer and which Feliciano and which Bugz in the Attic and which dutch electro-house, for that matter? There is a process of discrimination at work here, divining a possible logic amongst all of these things that couldn't have been identified before, but cannot be summarised as "Ramadanman and Mosca and Dennis Ferrer and Feliciano and..." as if you could take any tune by these artists and find the results the same.

Scenes are like constellations if the stars in the sky were all pushed together, such that the stars forming the outer edge of one constellation also formed the outer edge (or even inner structure) of others. Notwithstanding this, each constellation shows a different imagined picture, and usually the ones we are drawn to are those which seem brightest and most fully formed as a constellation, rather than just a random collection of stars.

PS. Cheers for the nice words Luka.

Yeah but see here's the thing. I don't disagree with the specifics of that post, I disagree with its scenastor aspect. Scenes are the inevitable process of gentrification. It's not a case of defining the limits of rudeboy, but a case of separation, of expunging. Dance music works best within those liminal spaces, with in the gaps. 93-early 94 when jungle hadn't fully crystalised, 2001-2002 when dark garage hadn't fully crystalised into grime/halfstep, 1974-76 when disco was emerging from the merger of funk, soul and jazz. 2007-08 when funky was 8 bar adapted to a house template. The list is endless. What Tim wants is to say these moments are indeed those which need to be championed, but that they are also scenastor scenes. Except they aren't, which is precisely why the deterritorialisation (or the centre as it were) cannot hold.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
As opposed to...

You've never made a single argument that has stood up to scrutiny on this forum. You seem to be more obsessed with me than I am you. It's bizarre given that I'm not even remotely on your side. Dance music as a culture of leisure is over for me. It's dead and buried. Let it go! It's like prog rock. Of course the good records will survive into eternity but clubbing has nothing left to offer but a regurgitation of the same.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oh c'mon, that's bullshit, third.

No, I mean it. I champion a culture that is in the past. I'm just not afraid to acknowledge that. There is nothing redemptive left in dance music. Like you can criticise my taste in dance music as being too stiff, too macho etc, but that's the aspect of my thinking that people don't seem to click with. Of course it's noisy and joyless! We're in post-edenic times. That's all that house was able to be. A feeling that you had to pay £20 for. Ironically Barty is arguing something similar. That the art of songcraft and composition is dead. He just takes the opposite side to me, but we converge on this.

Leo

the bullshit part was claiming boxed has never made a single comment that has stood up to scrutiny.

you're very smart and we love you, but that doesn't mean we can't call you on bullshit when needed.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
because that was Luke's contension that I don't make arguments. Except I always do. You can't complain about me going hard on boxed when Luke has a free pass to bully whoever he wants, including his friends.

Call me out, sure, but don't strawman me first. and the way boxed enthusiastically gets behind anything dissing me is not lost on me, which like I don't care, but then be prepared to face me in the arena. Don't run away.

Like I said, Crowl is right. Childish shithousing and little else, but it's easy to deploy me as a convenient scapegoat.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
theres no doubt that he has middlebrow taste but this partly operates in a gay way and gays dont seem to like kylie in the same way as straights do theres some witchcraft here i dont claim to totally understand

Like this could be interpreted as homophobic lol, not that I care, but it's weird how boxed won't take offence at this but as soon as someone who isn't straight calls his value set into question on this forum he piles on because hey that's only his territory and noone elses.

Leo

you're impossible sometimes, can't even accept a compliment. and you weren't "going hard on boxed", you just lazily insulted him.

I wasn't talking about you're method of arguing, I was initially jokingly noting your digs at Tim ("the only thing" he wrote that's any good) and Simon (who apparently made a good point decades ago but hasn't written anything worthwhile since), and then called you on an unnecessarily insulting remark to boxed.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you're impossible sometimes, can't even accept a compliment. and you weren't "going hard on boxed", you just lazily insulted him.

I wasn't talking about you're method of arguing, I was initially jokingly noting your digs at Tim ("the only thing" he wrote that's any good) and Simon (who apparently made a good point decades ago but hasn't written anything worthwhile since), and then called you on an unnecessarily insulting remark to boxed.

I didn't even engage with him before he decided to stick his ore in. I agreed to stay away from him but he won't offer me the same courtesy.

As for Simon I was obviously being facetious. But it cannot be denied that his writing has dipped in quality ever since the continuum petered out circa 2007 or so. He hasn't coined as many of those creative neologisms which made his earlier writing such a joy to read.

boxedjoy

here's one then: back in January, when I first got into it with you about the constant, petty and personal needling across various threads directed at me from yourself, and I foolishly rose to the bait, you then DM'd me to apologise for being a bit hard on me. I told you I wouldn't accept the apology because it was active and sustained and I had no interest in being part of it. You told me to "suit myself" and since then you've been even more venomous, with weird attempts at anti-Scottish discrimination and homophobia (oh but you're not straight). If you were sincere in thinking you'd been combative and unnecessary, and you had any sense of genuine contrition around it, you wouldn't be doubling down on the antagonising. What you want, is to be able to throw insults and viciousness around with impunity, and the fact I won't let you away with that when it's aimed at me is something you don't like.

As for me being weirdly obsessed with you, well yes I am going to pay attention to someone who sends tweets out into the world alleging that I'm a sex offender because my taste aligns with a blogger whose peak was a decade ago, an attempt to discredit any reputation I may have with bizarre illogic.

But - as my auto-generated email updates on threads I follow tell me - I'm not the one who spent two hours at 2am on a Thursday night posting and editing a reply to a comment, with the final result being entirely different to what was originally posted.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
As for me being weirdly obsessed with you, well yes I am going to pay attention to someone who sends tweets out into the world alleging that I'm a sex offender because my taste aligns with a blogger whose peak was a decade ago, an attempt to discredit any reputation I may have with bizarre illogic.

Prove it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Robo Sodomy Jazz Police on Twitter: "if you're calling random people on the internet you don't like 'incel' you're most probably an ableist bigot. By all means call out actual incels, but to expect disabled people to conform to your sexual standards whilst demonising them makes you more invested in normativity"

Robo Sodomy Jazz Police on Twitter: "then again, modelling yourself on Marcello Carlin is hardly positive character development. Remember when he created an alt account called Rachael Verinder to justify why time out does not need to cover more hip hop, dancehall and grime? The best of days!"

So legally what you've done is slander me. There is no evidence I called you a sex offender. Stereotyped you sure, but not called you a sex offender.

luka

i generally cant be bothered constructing arguments either. it involves a kind of meticulous working backwards from a conclusion or beleif which doesnt suit my temprement any more than it suits thirds.

i can do it, if pushed, but i always resent having to do it. tim finney is probably a good lawyer becasue he does it naturally. his mind is like a sock drawer which is fully colour coded matched and folded

luka

poetix does it well too. gus doesnt tend to miss out steps in his thinking either, even if his premises and conclusions tend to be bonkers