Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mogwai? I mean, they are genuinely awesome (as a live spectacle, at any rate), but still: possible sacred cow status?

Having said that, I think their last album wasn't universally acclaimed, so maybe they don't make the list after all.

tom pr

i think it's only the first two mogwai albums that are acclaimed, to be honest. and they're not that great.

villalobos puts out some records that are just dull, but that's part of what makes me like him- he comes up with these mad ideas (presumably while off his tits in the basement of that factory that he works from) that normal people would never think of making a three minute tune from, let alone a thirty minutes one or an album from. and then you end up with stuff like harem d'archimede and the 'blood on my hands' remix that make the whole process worthwhile.

i think there are a lot of hip-hop sacred cows. i've never heard a bad word about gang starr, but maybe that's because they've been smart enough to only release one album since 98 and so can't keep on 'returning to form' in the reviews. their eighties/nineties output is pretty amazing in my eyes; moment of truth is really underrated. it's pretty impossible to say a bad word about pete rock in some quarters.

mms

sometimes
i think it's only the first two mogwai albums that are acclaimed, to be honest. and they're not that great.

villalobos puts out some records that are just dull, but that's part of what makes me like him- he comes up with these mad ideas (presumably while off his tits in the basement of that factory that he works from) that normal people would never think of making a three minute tune from, let alone a thirty minutes one or an album from. and then you end up with stuff like harem d'archimede and the 'blood on my hands' remix that make the whole process worthwhile.

i think there are a lot of hip-hop sacred cows. i've never heard a bad word about gang starr, but maybe that's because they've been smart enough to only release one album since 98 and so can't keep on 'returning to form' in the reviews. their eighties/nineties output is pretty amazing in my eyes; moment of truth is really underrated. it's pretty impossible to say a bad word about pete rock in some quarters.

yeah dj premier is very overrated.
mogwai and my bloody valentine are biggly overated,

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
criticize Scott Walker from Climate Of Hunter onward at your peril...
Again, would anyone actually write about Scott Walker if they weren't basically a fan? I'm not really up to date on who's famous at the moment but I wouldn't have thought there was much point publishing a bad review of a Scott Walker album in the mainstream press because only 0.00001% of your readership would buy it if they were left to their own devices.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Sorry, was being facetious. I wouldn't consider the lack of MBV-bashing in the press to be because they're that much of a sacred cow, it's more because they haven't released anything since the early nineties and anything you read about them these days will probably be a retrospective thing, and people don't often bother to write retrospective things about bands just to say they don't like them.

And also, yeah, they're really good.

aMinadaB

totally inaccurate to say that sonic youth never had a record panned, New York Ghosts & Flowers was and remains almost universally disdained ( i quite like it actually, it's their new york school record, o'hara etc , tho who could expect an indie rock critic to know fuckall about the history of poetry lol )

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
Kim Gordon's new album, a collab with someone or other, was panned recently by Pitchfork. Not that Pitchfork has any credibility about anything whatsoever, just pointing it out.

As for the charge that every post-Goo album has been universally dismissed: don't forget Washing Machine, which came out in '94 or '95 I think. Some critics consider that their best record next to Daydream Nation. Can't say I disagree either.

john eden

male pale and stale

Yeah but that's just because it's good! ;)

Actually I think someone slagged him off in The Wire a few years back (Ben Watson?) for exhibiting klepto-magpie tendencies. But I could be wrong about that.

Not forgetting Beyond The Implode's intense but flawed campaign to get on the BASH guestlist.

audiofelch

As for the charge that every post-Goo album has been universally dismissed: don't forget Washing Machine, which came out in '94 or '95 I think. Some critics consider that their best record next to Daydream Nation. Can't say I disagree either.

give washing machine or nyc g&c over daydream nation anyday. For me that record never fulfills on the energetic promise of teenage riot.

straight

wings cru
Yeah but that's just because it's good! ;)

Actually I think someone slagged him off in The Wire a few years back (Ben Watson?) for exhibiting klepto-magpie tendencies. But I could be wrong about that.

Not forgetting Beyond The Implode's intense but flawed campaign to get on the BASH guestlist.

lols, this came up at the weekend when playing the new stuff to a mate. 'Grime/dubstep ambulance chaser' i believe was the charge

aMinadaB

Some critics consider that their best record next to Daydream Nation. Can't say I disagree either.
Opinions will vary on which record is their best (as if 'best' make any sense to begin with, i couldn't care less about such an arbitrary denomination) (and thank goodness opinions vary, how boring it would be otherwise), but I can tell you that having watched up close SY perform Daydream Nation in its entirety last summer, there is no question but that they still play with fire and love for the music. Absolutely incendiary, and the smiles on their faces said it all. A very enjoyable experience, and the music sounded wonderful.