Hipsters: Scourge or Irrelevence

comelately

Wild Horses
Oh come off it, who's strawmanning now? When did I ever say Mark Duggan's death was a good, or even acceptable, thing? His death was a bad thing, the coverup was a bad thing, the other social conditions that lead to the riots were (and still are) bad things, and the fact that ordinary people were harmed in the riots is a bad thing. Surely you accept that it's possible to hold these opinions simultaneously?

It's still you. The above treats these things as all essentially equal, which aligns perfectly well with the point droid was making.

droid

Oh come off it, who's strawmanning now? When did I ever say Mark Duggan's death was a good, or even acceptable, thing? His death was a bad thing, the coverup was a bad thing, the other social conditions that lead to the riots were (and still are) bad things, and the fact that ordinary people were harmed in the riots is a bad thing. Surely you accept that it's possible to hold these opinions simultaneously?

Your argument depends on the foregrounding of the price paid by ordinary people as a result of the riots. Youre making a qualitative argument based on the personal over the political. Im simply pointing out that in relation to the causes of the riots and the potential effects of the riots (and despite the fact that its appalling and no one should suffer it) that relatively speaking, no, its not a big deal.

droid

Have you met him? Thought he lived in the Ireland? What's he look like?

I think that was aimed at you luka.

And yes, myself and Tea have met. The ground quaked, the moon bled, squirrels fell from the trees, and the sky over Stoke Newington cracked in screaming chaos.

luka

I met john eden once. There were a lot of other people there too so we didn't talk much

droid

Weird. What a thought. What did you do together?

Its wasnt even just Tea. Martin, Dan Hancock, John Eden, IdleRich, Slothrop - they were all there too.

It was the inaugural meeting of the No-Lukas society.

luka

I met idle rich twice. Once he was too hungover to form words the other time he was too drunk to form words

luka

I haven't met dan hancox or slothrop, or Ilford Danny for that matter but i heard hes well lanky

droid

Matt B came over to Dublin with his other half a few years back and we me up. John was over with his fam two years ago and I nearly missed him due to a lost email.

You should head this way for a weekend Luka. Id take care of you.

luka

I used to have a phobia of the irish but now we are friends cos I.got drunk.with one in a pub watching sport. Ireland looks Great

craner

Beast of Burden
I would just like to say that I am 100% behind Tea here. The London riots, apart from their origin in the Duggan shooting which was quickly sidelined, were not revolutionary or ideological, it was nihilism and criminality, a classic London mob riot sparked by an excuse, which history is packed with. The attempt to paint it as a left-wing insurgency was one of the most pathetic and inept things I've ever witnessed.

craner

Beast of Burden
Then again, I'm on the Irving Kristol wing of this argument, so I don't expect Tea to thank me for the endorsement.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I would just like to say that I am 100% behind Tea here. The London riots, apart from their origin in the Duggan shooting which was quickly sidelined, were not revolutionary or ideological, it was nihilism and criminality, a classic London mob riot sparked by an excuse, which history is packed with. The attempt to paint it as a left-wing insurgency was one of the most pathetic and inept things I've ever witnessed.

epic trolling