LDN N16 "Pressure Drop" Fri 19th Sept

matt b

Indexing all opinion
oooh, just found this (sorry for thread hijack!):
'
12-13-2008 22:00atSUBDUB
West Indian Centre, Laycock Place, LEEDS, LS7 3JA
Cost: £11

ROOM 1: DUB/ROOTS - IRATION STEPPAS SOUND SYSTEM MEETS KING EARTHQUAKE SOUND SYSTEM...

BareBones

wheezy
oooh, just found this (sorry for thread hijack!):
'
12-13-2008 22:00atsubdub
west indian centre, laycock place, leeds, ls7 3ja
cost: £11

room 1: Dub/roots - iration steppas sound system meets king earthquake sound system...

we'll have none of that non-south-east-london-centric stuff in here, thankyouverymuch.

john eden

male pale and stale
Is this still alive? Gonna be one on 21 Nov?

According to the flyer 21 Nov is on and include guest selector Chris Lane (founder of Fashion Records). Unfortunately when I saw him DJ last he played some (great!) ska and rocksteady rather than mashing up the Fashion back-catalogue but we shall see.

That and the Mutoid Waste thing are on the same night...

DannyL

Wild Horses
I went to the last one, but it was pretty dead. Hopefully, it'll build up as the tunes were killer. However, there's a big clash in Dalston on the 22nd November - £1000 prize money, top guys from all over. Asher G, Jesse James, Gladdywax - so that might be the one to check that weekend. Will post details shortly...

viktorvaughn

I went to the last one, but it was pretty dead. Hopefully, it'll build up as the tunes were killer. However, there's a big clash in Dalston on the 22nd November - £1000 prize money, top guys from all over. Asher G, Jesse James, Gladdywax - so that might be the one to check that weekend. Will post details shortly...

That sounds amazing...Carl Craig at East Village thought.....hmmm.....decisions.

john eden

male pale and stale

john eden

male pale and stale
I hope it was good! In fact, I hope it was a conversation with a really hot women, and you were both agreeing how amazing I am. :p

Well as you know my life at the moment is essentially a series of lunches with hot women.

I have to say it is getting a bit annoying how often the conversation ends up comng back to you... :mad:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
According to the flyer 21 Nov is on and include guest selector Chris Lane (founder of Fashion Records). Unfortunately when I saw him DJ last he played some (great!) ska and rocksteady rather than mashing up the Fashion back-catalogue but we shall see.
Yeah, looks like me and Alison should be up at that - it's only a short hike along Manor Road so it'd be rude not to tbh. UoD was tempting, but Alison's got to get up the next morning for her kids that can't read good.

I'm assuming it's not shirts and shoes business or anything...

john eden

male pale and stale
Here goes:

2cpc2zc.jpg

john eden

male pale and stale
Ah sorry I didn't make this, was too knackered and quite excited by the clash the next day.

so I didn't got to Pressure Drop and then failed to get into the clash because of lack of ticket and proper footwear.

Dumb.

:eek:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Quick review of the clash for thems that didn't get into due to tickets and footwear buisness.

Wrote this for elsewhere, and am re-posting:

"I went to a killer soundclash last night, at the 512 Club in Dalston, billed as "I Remember That". A night of revive and oldies, with 6 of the biggest DJs on that scene clashing for £1000 prize money - the highlights (the ig names) being Asher G and Jesse James. It really was out of this world - the DJs each clashed initially by playing 3 instrumentals, 3 vocals, 3 rocksteady and 3 roots tunes, obviously all original vinyl, in an elimination round before the final clash. If you've never been to a clash before, it really is something, everyone is turned towards the DJ booth totally focused on the music and expresses their appreciation with whistles, horns, shouting and "licking wood". Not ashamed to say I recognised very few of the tunes being rinsed, but absolutely killer selections were being dropped by all DJs.

These guys are heavyweight collectors playing absolutely the cream of crop of Jamaican music - if you've a soft spot for both vinyl and rocksteady, it's a little bit like going to Heaven - and not only that, they put their vinyl where their mouths, up in front of an audience, and a panel of judges (the clashes are judged on points). To cut a long story short, Asher G won."

I didn't stay to the end, being largely on my jack jones, but I did stay long enough to soak up some quality music and the killer vibe. Spent a lot of time yesterday looking for Asher G sessions on line but couldn't find very many. On one hand, I hope the minidisc I've been promised materialises on the other hand it's quite nice to have somehting that's beyond the reach of the internet and Google.

Killer session. If you get the chance to go something like this and you're feeling hesitant... just do it.

Kiersty

Wild Horses
I was there at the last pressure drop and another one before nice crowd for sure there always is at The Others I've started hanging out there a lot just for fun and djing for their art openings and doing my own night there too.