mms

sometimes
what the fuck is wrong with you holmes? the tone of your posts is harsh as a mutherfucker but you don't like what someone else says and all you can say is "retarded" like a goddamn 5 year old.
I'm very happy to speak to people who's opinion differs from mine but it's pointless trying to with someone that wilfully paraphrases and engages with something i've never said instead, or takes things totally personally and in the hysterical tone you do.

I tried to navigate around you in this thread but you keep on bringing anything ive said back to you - even though i've made it clear i don't want to bring you into what's an interesting thread all together and especially currently.

Last edited:

dave quam

Cedaa's tracks are not in any way the type of tracks I'm talking about. I'm talking about kids making booty tracks that sound like they've never been laid before. I don't care what color they are, it's the end product. There are however a lot of white kids making boring attempts at hood bangers that I find maybe not racist, but just disrespectful, and shows these kids have absolutely no ideas of their own. There have been some dope whiteeboys (and Latinos) in the game for years in both Chicago and Detroit, who actually made dope music (Disco D! Boylan...), so sorry if I pulled out the race card which you can't see because you "don't think that way." Obviously I'm a bit biased, but I think Cedaa's tracks actually have a personality. I don't even play them out if I DJ, I just like listening to them on headphones for the most part. And why did you pick Tiffany to argue? You would have gone further with Escalade.

I'm done arguing with the man who claims DJ Nate is Ornette Coleman, and that juke and footwork is now music for a white audience (your terrible, terrible Archie Shepp reference). You MY DAWG are the Sun Ra of derailing this conversation.

dave quam

"it also makes no sense musically whatsoever"

I have no fucking idea what your talking about here, and am seriously psyched to hear you explain this gem. Expecting John Cage references plz k thx.

mms

sometimes
re jungle influence.. im so familiar with it & its quite easy to put any genre along those deep/ liquidy rails.. i'm more inspired by the cracked out doomy bastardisations from salem and damscray.. its more radical and unhinged

thats true they are more radical - i think personally i like to dance more though:)
it's kinda funny too really - its not like there is a big movement of people threading juke and footwork influences thru uk music, just a handful of tracks, but it's all good, uk dance music seems to be coming more openly retro in alot of ways as we move into 2011, - the post dubsteppers especially - the innovation seems to be coming from the fringes of 'indie' ( not jangly guitar stuff) or a melding of indie and the radical elements of dance.

Question for the Chicago gentlemen -

Has the influence of Juke and influence spread into hip hop and R and B in Chicago at all or is that a weird way around of looking at it?

Last edited:

dave quam

a little bit

twista's pimp like me is an homage to it. He grew up on the west side and used to hit up the Factory, a landmark club back in the 80/early 90s that is where tons of ghetto house and early footwork type shit went down. Do or Die were also footworkers before they were rappers. Kanye used to hang around this dance crew House Party 2 as well.

On the radio DJ Nephets has spots, and most of what he plays is his remixes of popular hip hop and r&b joints. DJ Clent also DJs on the same station (Power 92)

http://davequam.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/special-dance/

not a juke track production wise, but a nod

Obviously Dude N Nem

So the answer is, occasionally, but I wish it did more. In 2010 I haven't heard too many examples.

skweeelicious!

bass downstairs
I'm very happy to speak to people who's opinion differs from mine but it's pointless trying to with someone that wilfully paraphrases and engages with something i've never said instead, or takes things totally personally and in the hysterical tone you do.

I tried to navigate around you in this thread but you keep on bringing anything ive said back to you - even though i've made it clear i don't want to bring you into what's an interesting thread all together and especially currently.
Excuse me. You attempted to engage me with something *I* never said, claiming that I liked the Andrea record because it was "more authentic" and stating that this was "nonsense" and "bullshit" and "easily the worst reason for liking a record". So you fling multiple insults at me for a complete mischaracterization of my point -- which I stated in the post immediately following.

I will say that I regret making the negative comparison to Addison Groove and Girl Unit. That stuff is cool, but that's not really the reason I regret the comparison. It's more that I hate when people feel the need to devalue something in order to value something else, and that's basically what I did. It's tricky because it can be useful and interesting to compare things otherwise.

mms

sometimes
Excuse me. You attempted to engage me with something *I* never said, claiming that I liked the Andrea record because it was "more authentic"

i didn't claim anything about you - or try and engage you in anything here, else i would have directed any points at you, which i have not done , you've got the wrong end of the stick, i can see how you might have done that but i've not directed anything at you sorry.
Can we get on with the thread now i'm falling asleep.

Last edited:

skweeelicious!

bass downstairs
I'm done arguing with the man who claims DJ Nate is Ornette Coleman, and that juke and footwork is now music for a white audience (your terrible, terrible Archie Shepp reference). You MY DAWG are the Sun Ra of derailing this conversation.
Dude. If you're going to just latch on to random words in what I write and go flying off into the ozone, making up your own wild interpretations of my meaning, I sincerely hope you are done arguing with me. OTOH If you actually read the whole of what I write and take note: I USE LOGICAL ANALOGY AS A DEVICE FOR MAKING POINTS, then we could actually have some good conversation.

I never said nor implied that juke and footwork is now music for a white audience. I quoted Archie Shepp that JAZZ had become music for a white audience to make the point that WHO IS LISTENING is not what it's about. And this was in reference to your derisive comment that Nate turned a lot of geeky white Brits onto juke. I consider this pointless metadata about the music. OK, interesting from a journalistic perspective, but it says nothing about the quality of the music.

Last edited:

skweeelicious!

bass downstairs
"it also makes no sense musically whatsoever"

I have no fucking idea what your talking about here, and am seriously psyched to hear you explain this gem. Expecting John Cage references plz k thx.

i just listened to the release and it's pretty good. cosby from car crash set posted an early version a while back and it had the lush pretty chords and no vocals for the first half of the track. then the vocals come in and it was like whaaaaa???? but it sounds a lot better w/ the vocal in there from the top.

skweeelicious!

bass downstairs
i didn't claim anything about you - or try and engage you in anything here, else i would have directed any points at you, which i have not done , you've got the wrong end of the stick, i can see how you might have done that but i've not directed anything at you sorry.
Can we get on with the thread now i'm falling asleep.

cool man, i appreciate.

nnazem

i'd like to thank skweeeelicious and mms for killing this thread.

i feel like responding to something someone asked a while back, wondering what other music we listen to.

Although I'm not a juke producer, I can tell you first and foremost, what they listen to is in the music they make. Soul, Funk, hip hop, house, and techno. Especially stuff that doesn't have too much obvious drum patterns in it, but rich in chords. Example:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sometimes, a lot of the newer kids when getting into the scene wonder what to sample, I'll throw em that, or this below:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I remember first showing this to Earl, and him coming back the next week goin, "Neema, I made 4 tracks off that one song alone!"

On that note, Traxman is a fuckin musical maniac. He worked at one of the best record shops in Chicago, Out of the Past, and knows who mastered an album, where it was pressed, what year, the band, everything! He's the definition of a vinyl head. If you guys ever wanna talk to somebody whose heard everything on Earth, Traxman is the man to see.

Sorry for goin off subject, but yeah, what is sampled is what the guys, as well as me incidentally, listen to most.

mms

sometimes
i'd like to thank skweeeelicious and mms for killing this thread.

thats unfair nassem - i was trying to avoid that like hell -
and the thread would have carried on if you'd answered this question which i asked in good time lol.
noticed alot of the juke stuff seems to sample mizell brothers stuff - lots of rich late 70's fusion and rare groove etc...blackbyrds etc... classic stuff..

similar sort of samples to 90's east coast hip hop in a sense.

mandre and the dexter wansell things were big loft tracks too of course

Last edited:

nnazem

thats unfair nassem - i was trying to avoid that like hell -
and the thread would have carried on if you'd answered this question i asked in good time lol.

just pullin your chain a lil, but you're right, there wouldn't have been any long awaited silence if i answered this so long ago! my apologies!!!

but yeah mms, you're dead on man. astro-funk is one good way to describe one part of the scene. Oddly enough, whats getting popular out here to sample seems to be the same stuff that created the UK Jazz dance scene damn near 30 years ago.

And yeah, remember when I was tellin you guys we love the breakbeat scene? These tracks are semi-case-in-points.

mms

sometimes
just pullin your chain a lil, but you're right, there wouldn't have been any long awaited silence if i answered this so long ago! my apologies!!!

but yeah mms, you're dead on man. astro-funk is one good way to describe one part of the scene. Oddly enough, whats getting popular out here to sample seems to be the same stuff that created the UK Jazz dance scene damn near 30 years ago.

And yeah, remember when I was tellin you guys we love the breakbeat scene? These tracks are semi-case-in-points.

yeah rare groove is what we called it - before my time but you know what i mean, exactly the same stuff as the jazz dance scene.

I think breakbeat to uk people now means something quite different from being into breaks etc though - it means this kinda of cheesy jank -

massrock

hey foax,

has this been mentioned here at all? interesting bit of history. i guess where northern soul and uk jazz dance was meeting breaking. they called it footworking apparently. i mean interesting that it's captured in a pop video in 1984.

Last edited:

gumdrops

good as the mu comp is, i think the first track should have been last. dead homies tracks should always go at the end of albums!