wonky

gumdrops

not really feeling that paul white too much. seems like it could have been made back in the late 90s. nice packaging though.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]

optimum

Poochie
Little recent piece by Matt Woebot on the synth technology which is making wonkiness possible:
http://www.hollowearth.org/blog/2009/06/simon-reynolds-on-dilla-in-guardian.html
The more technologically aware of you will have probably grasped this some time ago, but it was a useful explanation for me.

Yeah I don't think he's right it's not really a nightmare to program that stuff, u can just automate it by drawing lines. It's sometimes quicker to use a 'knob'/controller. You can adjust the settings to allow for a percentage on pitch bending/modulation/whatever you want.

massrock

Yeah it's not like pitch bend wheels or LFOs are new. I suppose the convenience of something Automap (if / when it works) might encourage more general knobbery, I guess that's what he's saying.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Brainfeeder was fun last night, though I found Flying Lotus' set a bit noodly/erratic. Ableton (I assume that's what he was using) really fits with 'wonky' insofar as you can warp beats and loop things etc. It fits the skittery aesthetic of the music but I thought that a vibe never really got built up as it would in a 'straight' DJ set.

As soon as he dropped a beat straight like 'Massage Situation' or the Weezy RMX it went off. Wasn't feeling the more IDMish aspect of it though.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I think saying these kinds of synth sounds were impossible prior to MIDI controllers plugged into soft synths is overstating it a lot. How come none of the sounds are fresh, then?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Have you all heard Rollin Rat, the Rustie track that's up on the LuckyMe myspace?
http://www.myspace.com/thisisluckyme
(Scroll down the playlist a bit for it)
Not sure how old/new it is, and don't know whether it's based on samples from American stuff or is a collaboration or whatever, but it's just a knock-out tune. Guaranteed to stick in your head for days. :D

ether

Little recent piece by Matt Woebot on the synth technology which is making wonkiness possible:
http://www.hollowearth.org/blog/2009/06/simon-reynolds-on-dilla-in-guardian.html
The more technologically aware of you will have probably grasped this some time ago, but it was a useful explanation for me.

not sure this is really true:

I think joker tends to favors hardware.

and an i'm preety sure I read Take and Ras-g etc. seem to like sampling circuit-bent synths and old junk keyboards etc.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Thanks for the response on the soft-synth article. It appeared convincing to me, but then as I said before I have very little first-hand understanding of the technology.
Perhaps a more plausible claim would be that in general the availability of soft-synth programs make it easier or at least more appealing for people to generate and use these sort of sounds; not that every single 'wonky' producer (who of course don't make up any single, cohesive group) is using soft-synths (I don't think Matt actually claimed that in his post but you could perhaps get that impression from it).

massrock

It's not the availability of soft synths that he's saying encourage wonkification, he's saying it's the controllers. I don't think this is entirely right, as optimum said it's never really been difficult to automate parameters on soft synths. In identifying Novation though he might be on to something in that they have this technology called Automap which is supposed to make your hardware controller automatically map it's controls to whichever synth or effect plugin you bring up. Setting those things up can be a pain in the arse and not really conducive to the uh creative flow. So the idea is it makes twisting knobs on screen based synths more convenient. I've heard that Automap can be a bit ropey though.

Yeah Joker has some nice gearage by the looks of it. Alesis Andromeda which is a very powerful modern analogue synth and lots of outboard compressors, pre-amps etc. That's the sort of thing big news techno and minimal producers get up to as well.