Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

trza

I finished up a trip to Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, and Brasilia last month, and it took me about three weeks to sort through 1,500 photos and start to share some of the good ones. I take the food discovery part of any trip seriously, and use my experiences finding the good stuff on previous trips and taking photos.

17220947663_06afd679fb_o.jpg

Sarapatel in Brasilia, in food court under giant analog television tower in center of town. Tripe dish from Portugal, popular in India and Northern Brazil.

17435814522_7c6d7359e0_o.jpg

Dom Rodrigo, portuguese egg noodle pastry in Savassi neighborhood of Belo Horizonte.

17280485335_80b7b87636_o.jpg

Ham and cheese inside of Pao de Queijo sandwich, the bun is 30% cheese.

16686428233_15602419cd_o.jpg

Chicken heart skewer on the streets of Belo Horizonte

17256223165_45d8e02631_o.jpg

Caldo de Mocoto, cow feet soup in a place in Belo that has been serving this 24 hours a day for forty years.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
^ amazing looking stuff.

Somewhat shitter and closer to home and in a bit of a Handy Hints style, you can astonish friends at a barbecue with homemade kebab-shop-style garlicsauce (as in "you want garlicsauce, chillisauce?") by mixing half and half mayonaisse and yoghurt and then bunging in a load of crushed garlic. Making authentic chips-in-pitta is left as an exercise to the reader. THBAPSA

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Has anyone done, like, y'know,

MONEY SHOTS

when they get their food yet? Cos I would definitely tribute a couple of yours trza.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I made Hunan salted chillies, and have been devouring them at every opportunity. They're amazing and not what you expect; they kinda ferment so you get soft chillies with a kick but also with this weird entheogenic thing - my dreams after eating them are like after eating super strong cheese or whatever. Anyway, they're THE universal condiment and they go with anything.

http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/2007/08/15/homemade-hunan-salted-chilies/

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That sounds pretty great, although I initially misread the first line as "I made human salted chillies...", and even the tastiest recipe can't really live up to that promise. :(

Leo

been going through a halloumi cheese phase, sliced and either grilled or sautéed in olive oil, so good/quick/easy. served with any combination of couscous, salad, hummus, etc..

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
been going through a halloumi cheese phase, sliced and either grilled or sautéed in olive oil, so good/quick/easy. served with any combination of couscous, salad, hummus, etc..

Every phase should be a halloumi cheese phase.

Leo

http://www.brooklynbarmenus.com

BROOKLYN BAR MENU GENERATOR

Have you recently purchased a bar in Brooklyn, but are completely bereft of original ideas? Firstly, congratulations on joining the thriving Brooklyn bar scene! Secondly, relax! You can use this handy tool to generate a name and menu for your fine establishment – absolutely no imagination necessary!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Re halloumi:

roast some tomatoes with a sprig of rosemary until tomatoes are slightly caramelized
boil or steam a handful of green beans
fry or grill some halloumi
rough the tomatoes up a bit and combine the whole lot while it's all still warm.

I discovered this by accident a few years ago and it's amazing. It manages to be greater than the sum of it's already fairly great parts. AFAICT the rosemary bridges the halloumi and the tomatoes, the beans provide texture and balance.

Last edited:
David Sedaris names some excruciatingly funny (and probably only slightly made up) trendy-NY-restaurant menu items in Me Talk Pretty One Day. I'll see if I can dig out my copy and post some here.

I ate this a few weeks ago:

Silo Breakfast – Sourdough toast with Silo baked beans & slow cooked egg – £6
Treacle cured bacon – £2
Espresso Mushroom – £2

Espresso mushrooms were the single most disgusting thing I've ever tasted, as if they'd sprouted in an ash tray and been simmered in bin juice.

The beans were OK, those that had escaped contamination from the filthy oyster mushrooms.