minor "rules"

martin

----
If someone cooks you dinner, at their house, do you offer to wash up?

Yes, it's 'politics - just playing the system's little game - but it proves you weren't raised by wolves and that you're not a self-absorbed ponce.

Normally people decline your offer anyway, but it's worth doing - especially if you've gone, alone, to see a couple. They normally turn your offer down as, despite the Code of Manners, you're technically outnumbered, and they'd feel too guilty sitting there as you went to work in the kitchen alone (they wouldn't really feel guilty, they're just playing the 'feeling guilty' game - if they were honest with themselves, they'd have you cleaning the toilet and mopping the floor too)

Obviously don't offer if it's you and a good mate, you should be too busy drinking, burping and talking filth afterwards to even think about trivialities like washing up. Don't offer if it's your mum, it's what the old bat's there for.

nochexxx

harco pronting
If someone cooks you dinner, at their house, do you offer to wash up?

am i right in thinking that in american culture washing up is a collective activity if close friends are around? i'm pretty sure a bostonian friend of mine explained that this is standard etiquette

STN

sou'wester
fuck knows, but if there's someone you fancy, you can flick suds at them and you'll inevitably end up in an embrace.

petergunn

plywood violin
am i right in thinking that in american culture washing up is a collective activity if close friends are around? i'm pretty sure a bostonian friend of mine explained that this is standard etiquette

i am from boston and that sounds like some hippie shit to me...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

It's not really a fun-filled, back-patting collaborative bonding experience as it is parties argue over who washes, who dries and who puts away, and once that is decided dishes are done in a third of the time.

fuck knows, but if there's someone you fancy, you can flick suds at them and you'll inevitably end up in an embrace.

Or flicking the bum with a twisted up damp tea towel.

alex

Do not read this.
same as holding a door, but If i can see someone entering the building just as I am getting in the lift, i press the button and hope to god the doors shut in time...

if they begin to run I press harder, morer...

luka

What do people think about 'roundees' who pull out a tenner and say, "You go to the bar"

nah i do this all the time, its fine, SO LONG AS the person is signifiacanlty younger than you and is busily imbibing your worldly wisdom/.
then they are honoured to do it for me.