your favorite junglist auteur

your favorite junglist auter?

• 4 Hero (also Tom & Jerry, Manix, Tek 9, etc)

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Andy C/Ant Miles (all the RAMM stuff)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • DJ Crystl

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • DJ Hype/Ganja Kru (repping ~95-97 gangstadelic hardstep)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • DJ SS/Formation

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Foul Play (incl. Steve Gurley's solo work)

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Goldie/Rob Playford

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • A Guy Called Gerald

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • No U-Turn cru (Rush/Optical/Trace/DJ Gunshot)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Omni Trio

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Photek (Aquarius, The Sentinel, Studio Pressure, etc.)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Remarc

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Roni Size/Bristol cru

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Skanna

• Basement Records (Wells brothers)

• Total voters
D

droid

Apologies for sticking my nose in yet again without responding to some of the comments upthread (I still havent voted :D), but regarding No-U turn: 'The Force is electric' remix is one of the finest jungle tunes ever made. Totally shook me when it came out, along with most of content of that 'techsteppin' compilation on Emotif.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

When I came across that vocal sample years later on a sound tape I got the shivers... '...assassinate, exterminate and tun over every sound!'

(BTW That video is definitely pitched up :confused:)

mms

sometimes
Apologies for sticking my nose in yet again without responding to some of the comments upthread (I still havent voted :D), but regarding No-U turn: 'The Force is electric' remix is one of the finest jungle tunes ever made. Totally shook me when it came out, along with most of content of that 'techsteppin' compilation on Emotif.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

When I came across that vocal sample years later on a sound tape I got the shivers... '...assassinate, exterminate and tun over every sound!'

(BTW That video is definitely pitched up :confused:)

hell yes, now you've got me on a search to find out whether i've got that, very much pitched up!

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
:D Its the white sleeve with the blue arrow!

i've got a white label, with everything stamped on, think its the original though, the b side is good, uses the same sample that luke vibert used on one of the plug records and a pitched down gangstarr sample.

i remember really distinctly the torque era stuff entering the clubs, it was just a massive cold rush, i remember reacting to it, like yes this is EVIL!!
haha be careful what you wish for.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Apologies for sticking my nose in yet again without responding to some of the comments upthread (I still havent voted :D), but regarding No-U turn: 'The Force is electric' remix is one of the finest jungle tunes ever made.

it certainly is
along with Guncheck on the other side
an awesome 12" :)

mms

sometimes
check this video - very nice

whats that metalheads documentary discussed in the chat below, anyone got/seen it?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
'The Force is electric' remix is one of the finest jungle tunes ever made.

along with Guncheck on the other side
an awesome 12" :)

my favorite (& I would say the best) No U-Turn release hands down...one of those records where I wonder - did these dudes know they were creating this work of absurd genius while they were making it? it certainly looks like it in that video, lol at dude in the studio with his shirt off...

also: definitive techstep compilation, Techsteppin or Torque? I reckon Torque by a fair bit but I'm prepared to hear other opinions on the matter...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
alright, so I didn't vote for him (or even include him in the poll) but, as per D'Cruze...the case for Graham Mew aka Doctor G aka The Invisible Man...

slammin ardkore...
(give me a motherfu**in' breakbeat" in an 8 yr old's voice always cracks me up)

darkside madness...

ambient jungle bliss...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z3t9JfldTxg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z3t9JfldTxg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YtbwLFXclU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1YtbwLFXclU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXuMsV_nzos&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXuMsV_nzos&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and this melancholy Amen rinseout...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_mhB2cadcY8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_mhB2cadcY8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and the later 12" on Good Looking is alright too, if a bit wishy-washy for my taste...

Last edited:

loof

Would've been good to give a shout to lemon d alongside dillinja. Urban style music/ this is LA is too good! The souljah stuff is pretty awesome too, fade 2 black and 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 are amazing. He managed to move seamlessly from intricate headz breakwork style releases to big steppy stuff in his post 96 period but, like dilli, tailed off dramatically. I think he did that tune that sampled shook ones that featured on the kool fm dizzee rascal set a while ago, massive tune!

All this talk of bizzy b reminds me there's no mention of equinox yet. Which reminds me there's been no mention of asc, frac and nep, breakage et al, a lot of that stuff was well jungley in spirit, and if you're gonna mention newer stuff like soundmurderer and sk1, these guys should def get a mention. Big shout for Digital too.

Seeing how optical's mentioned on the list, maybe a shout for dom and roland too? The stuff he did on saigon was pretty jungley and pretty good. Mechanics is amazing, dom's an absolute master of the amen.

Soz about the lack of tune links/poor punctuation, doing this from my phone.

Ach!

Turd on the Run

The above and Mad Different Methods on Nu-Black 001. Completely black record sleeve and design. Although it was released in 96, Trace was caning MDM all through the summer of 95 on his Kool FM set. I was addicted to that set, and loved that early techstep sound in 95, and it seemed like a perfect partner to the dirty and dark east coast hiphop of the time. The Techsteppin' LP has some real good moments, including Doc Scott's Machines. I still don't know who to vote.

Ach!

Turd on the Run

nomos

Administrator
Last edited:
D

droid

Luvvit to the marrow!
<br>

Corny?

luka

i just said hype was my favourite junglist auteur you nutter! i just hated jump up. as ive said a thousand times before,.

D

droid

And I'm just saying that some of the Ganja kru stuff was genius, and not corny (or even jump up).

Seen? :D