your favorite junglist auteur

your favorite junglist auter?

• 4 Hero (also Tom & Jerry, Manix, Tek 9, etc)

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Andy C/Ant Miles (all the RAMM stuff)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • DJ Crystl

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • DJ Hype/Ganja Kru (repping ~95-97 gangstadelic hardstep)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • DJ SS/Formation

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Foul Play (incl. Steve Gurley's solo work)

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Goldie/Rob Playford

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • A Guy Called Gerald

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • No U-Turn cru (Rush/Optical/Trace/DJ Gunshot)

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Omni Trio

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Photek (Aquarius, The Sentinel, Studio Pressure, etc.)

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Remarc

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Roni Size/Bristol cru

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Skanna

• Basement Records (Wells brothers)

• Total voters

mixed_biscuits

Goldie/Playford all the way: the emotional range; the production wizardry; the 'visionary' creative self-indulgence; the personal charisma and arrogance (calling your album 'Timeless'); the willingness to rep the sound to the mainstream...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Bay-B-Kane, Crystl...

I mean these guys made such stunning music and then just stopped...maybe understandbly...but what happened to them? I've asked this before, I know. How do you climb down in life from such a peak? Did they just become pro studio engineers or what?

I voted for Foul Play/Gurley in the end.

here's a great recent interview with Bay B Kane... that I mentioned upthread - apparently he read the writing on the wall around '95 or so & got out of the game, went to school, had a family etc. (I think he says he's a computer technician of some sort?)...amazing bit of prescience actually...or at least it looks that way retrospectively...actually he comes across/presents himself as a proper ruffneck back then...great interview really...

Crystl I dunno...he's always seemed a rather mysterious figure to me...I mean for a stretch in '93 he was arguably the greatest jungle producer...& then nothing...here's the Pete Parsons interview at the same site as the Bay B Kane one...he tallks about engineering all the classic Crystl tunes, as well as tons of nuts & bolts hardware technical talk...

padraig (u.s.)

Goldie/Playford...the 'visionary' creative self-indulgence; the personal charisma and arrogance (calling your album 'Timeless')...

actually I find these quite appealing too...a bit like Berlin-era Bowie...

but I reckon it only works (or worked up to a point) cos it's tempered by ruffness & the darkside era genius of Reinforced...

D

droid

Crystl...

I mean these guys made such stunning music and then just stopped...maybe understandbly...but what happened to them? I've asked this before, I know. How do you climb down in life from such a peak? Did they just become pro studio engineers or what?

OK... you asked for it.

Click on 'the experts' and have a look at Dan Chapman:

http://www.bodyxperts.com/

Tanadan

likes things
I think I'm leaning towards Goldie, although perhaps Photek - I'll have to listen to the late stuff again. But - can someone list the good RAM tracks? I have no idea what to look for, all I have is Evolution from like 1999 which is wicked.

padraig (u.s.)

re: RAM

top '91 piano anthem...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

& more killer ardkore...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

licensed from one of the De Underground/In Touch labels I think, but still...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mo4GcxkR6hQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mo4GcxkR6hQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425"
height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ciEEihPJonI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ciEEihPJonI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-aj3CUgwbCk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-aj3CUgwbCk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uoJVrZvgceA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uoJVrZvgceA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

not really into anything post-'96 or so, not a big fan of the whol RAM Trilogy thing but some people like em I guess...

also when talking about RAMM I figure Ant Miles' work as Liftin' Spirits/Ironik/Higher Sense/etc should be included...

Tanadan

likes things
Wow, thanks a ton. I like the first one of those a lot, it sounds classic.

Amazing how you can go from making that to making dark dark inhuman nasty x-step wobble bass Ram Trilogy tunes...

D

droid

My favourite RAM tune is 'The Predator' and remixes. Also the Origin Unknown mixes of 'Firin' Line', 'Mash Up Da Place' and HMP's 'Runnin's'...

head

removin the cobwebs
Also - J malik anyone? Didnt do much but was very influential. See also: Lemon D

lemond d(and dillinja) and j majik(and adam f) both are huge for me. i voted for the bristol cru(tho i would've listed it as v recordings). that label and its offshoots had such a great sound, and the artists that grew out of it are some of the biggest - v really had all the big names under it at one point or another so its almost too vague but that's my vote.

ss and formation were huge for me(john b had some sick ones here and there too). some other fav labels were prototype, dread, hard leaders, full cycle, technique and true playaz.

i just got back from wmc in miami and heard pulp fiction mixed quickly into a dubstep track. must've heard ten different versions of eastern jam as well.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
OK... you asked for it.

Click on 'the experts' and have a look at Dan Chapman:

http://www.bodyxperts.com/

oh my days :eek:

i voted no u turn

strictly as my favourite nothing more than that. glad to see ive got some company

if anyone has any trace and rhyme tyme kool fm tapes please upload them. ive got one which ive played about 400 times, and am listening to now

t.power should be at least mentioned if he hasn't been already, talking about 'auteurs'. hugely individual style. very ambitious some of the stuff he did. *edit - just saw he was mentioned, didnt read closely enough, good stuff

Last edited:

mixed_biscuits

Goldie could do dark and ruff too - check out the remix of The Boy with the X-Ray Eyes.

The album version of Inner City Life is the best jungle track ever.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
auteur, n a film-director, esp thought of as the creator of a particular genre, and showing a unique personal stamp. [Fr, (literally) author]

how many of those names actually fit those criteria?

I voted 4 Hero :)

Tanadan

likes things
What's the 12" version like - is it just the first 7 mins of Inner City Life on the A side and the second 7 of Jah on the flip? Cos I was thinking of buying it on discogs, but don't know whether it's worth it...

rivet90210

predictably, i voted for 4hero.
I kind of lump goldie in with 4hero in that 93-94 era though. All the 4hero remix eps have a bit of goldie on them, mostly via internal afairs. As well as that, on Rufige Kru - Ghost EP, the credits say written and produced for Rufige AND Internal Affairs. It's unavoidable that they go hand in hand. However, that Goldie is paired with Playford in the pole suggests that you are hinting to the work he did after this foundation period(?) -a different sound in a number of ways.

I very nearly voted for Crystl though!!!

Special Mention: Skeleton Recordings Krew. Not as profound as a reinforced ect., but they certainly produced an impressive little pile of records imo.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Damn, I love this thread...

Those Bizzy B tracks that Bassnation posted way up thread are fantastic, wasn't familiar with them at all. Could we call Bizzy the 'king of the Mentasms' the same way that Remarc was 'king of the Amens'. Total head-fuckery the way they're chopped and key-shifted. Great drum sound too, very thick/rich sounding.

padraig (u.s.)

Goldie could do dark and ruff too...

well of course! I mean the Rufige Kru stuff both kicked off & defines "darkside"...perhaps I should have been more clear...I fully include Goldie in "darkside era Reinforced"...

oof dunno if I can agree with you there mate...doesn't even make my top 50 I think...actually it's not even in my top 10 Goldie tracks...tho it's certainly the best jungle track over 20 minutes long:)...

predictably, i voted for 4hero.
I kind of lump goldie in with 4hero in that 93-94 era though...that Goldie is paired with Playford in the pole suggests that you are hinting to the work he did after this foundation period(?) -a different sound in a number of ways.

well actually I didn't mean to suggest that lol...I guess I kind of thought Goldie's Reinforced stuff would be included with peak-era 4 Hero...really I was just trying to divide it up in a way that makes sense. I mean, clearly 4 Hero & Goldie both fit the "autuer" definition & even tho they worked together closely it didn't seem to make sense to put them together. perhaps what I should have done is had one category for Goldie/Metalheadz & another for Playford/Moving Shadow...actually yes that would have made much more sense...oh well...

Special Mention: Skeleton Recordings Krew. Not as profound as a reinforced ect., but they certainly produced an impressive little pile of records imo.

hell yeah...more unsung heroes...some great records they made tho...

Last edited: