Convince me why I should like The Beatles

crackerjack

i think peppers gets the props cos it's got the most '60's stuff' in it plus its got the big pop art cover.

Pepper was a pivotal 60s album, but it hasn't really been a lot people's favourite in decades. Revolver routinely tops it in crit lists; these days Abbey Road is often the cool choice. (Personally I like Magical Mystery Tour, but I'm told that doesn't 'count').

CrowleyHead

"Peppers" is important, if only because it helped cause Brian Wilson to suffer a nervous breakdown. You know Paul was strutting through the studio going. "Goddamn right! Try hitting me with 'God Only Knows', will you!? Fucker!""Boys, I think McCartney's over the edge...""Mmm.""...."

zhao

there are no accidents
i think peppers gets the props cos it's got the most '60's stuff' in it plus its got the big pop art cover.

also most narrative and conceptually concise in a well put together package that flows better than other albums, which might have better individual songs.

those mentioned of course... and don't forget Abbey Road the monster... come together... while my guitar...

i love the album of questionable official status called "hey jude". lady madonna, old brown shoe, rain, don't let me down, so many great songs.

also overlooked is the after thought let it be.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
so amazing. the feeling of unresolved resolutions and "this-really-is-the-last-time" farewell... i... i'm sorry i just... i can't... does somone have any tissue?

Last edited:

massrock

while an r and b band play on the stage, with a fierce performance.
Yeah that band is firing.

But watching the 'Beatles On Record' doc reminds that The Beatles did have a groove of their own, even early on. Cos of course they had been at it for a while keeping the German speed freaks dancing. Ringo underrated?

So, mono or stereo?

mms

sometimes
Yeah that band is firing.

But watching the 'Beatles On Record' doc reminds that The Beatles did have a groove of their own, even early on. Cos of course they had been at it for a while keeping the German speed freaks dancing. Ringo underrated?

So, mono or stereo?

ringo was quite the clown wasn't he, paul was the sardonic one, adn a bit of a foil, lennon quite introspective and harrison was a bit of an awkward geek who's jokes never come off properly.
They had a kind of bolting forward motion rather than a groove i think.
:)

CrowleyHead

The Beatles are better at sort of fucked-up Funk than "Rawk" and hillbilly shit. Understandably so.

Again, I make my case... Even if Bernard Puerdie might've subbed in for Ringo on this baby.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

THIS! Makes that album a noteworthy one.

pajbre

in an interview lennon was asked if ringo was the best drummer in the world. he replied 'he isn't even the best drummer in the beatles.'

petergunn

plywood violin
old brown shoe,

a beatles song i had not thought about in like 7 years... such a quality tune...

other minor beatle songs i love:

hey bulldog
"I've Just Seen a Face"
"For You Blue"
Baby's in Black
And Your Bird Can Sing"
Only a Northern Song"
Savoy Truffle

a lotta harrison songs in there,,,

CrowleyHead

also, the Tv ads for this are terrifying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles:_Rock_Band

That wasn't that weird to me. I used to work in a Grocery Store where they had little TVs playing commercials in a loop. One week, we had a commercial of NO LIE, John Lennon selling Laptops. His image, from the Imagine video, and what I assume must've been an impersonator saying how buying a child a laptop can change the world.

Woebot

this was an absolutely CATASTROPHIC remastering job of the top albums.

i can't go into it any depth because it simply makes me too angry.

they should have put out a straight 96k recording of the mono set and left it at that - instead GM fiddled around, played with the stereo fader, added other parts, even stripped out older bits and did his version of them. a total travesty

quoting from this piece linked below on the white album (which says it all really)

"We actually started mixing it last December, and I got to January and said, "This sounds terrible. It's too clean."

The White Album is slightly trashy. It's visceral, it slaps you in the face. We'd made it sound like Steely Dan or Dire Straits... so we went back and worked out a way to preserve that sound.

We live in a world of streaming, where Blackbird could be played next to Ed Sheeran and they [should both] sound as young and fresh as each other."

nepotism run riot i'm afraid.

(apologies to the forum - i know this sort of thing is verboten - but i had to let off steam somewhere)🤢

Woebot

"So you have to replicate effects that don't exist on the original recordings?

Always. Absolutely. We can't recreate everything from the tapes. There's certain vocal sounds or the slight distortion you get in Glass Onion and, without them, it sounds a bit boring.

Is it true that you got a completely new recording of the flamenco guitar that opens The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill?

Well, that's actually played on a Mellotron which, for those who don't know, was the original sampler. I remembered Paul still had the Mellotron, so it was just a question of me phoning him up and getting his engineer to record it in better quality.

Now, someone said, "It's sacrosanct! How could you do that?" But it's the same machine, playing the same tape. If I can get a better version of it, then we should use it.

I always think about my dad and The Beatles being in the room with me when I'm doing this work. If I can make the guitar from Dear Prudence shimmer and sound good using the techniques they used, I think John would be happy.

I work with ghosts all the time. If I had a Ouija board, I'd probably use one."

Benny Bunter

I agree that's a travesty.

I only really listen to streamed music nowadays, i'm far from an audiophile, but I've noticed most of the beatles records sound crap on spotify. Not how I remember them at all, like theres something off