Indie - that scene is on it's arse now
lady gaga
take that
current US Hip Hop / Rap / autotune
Pendulum
singer / songwriters

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh yeah, anything with autotune on it blows by default.

But that's not so much a prejudice as just an eternal objective truth, right?

swears

preppy-kei
I heard "Stillness is the Move" by The Dirty Projectors on Radio 1 and thought it was great, then found out they're some sort of Amerindie blog-hyped Pfork band, so I'm not having that. Some of this music may have even been played on live instruments!

tom lea

dirty projectors new album is ace.

and re: autotune, that discovery lp which is a dude from vampire weekend and a dude from ra ra riot auto-tuning everything to fuck is amazing. one of the albums of the year.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Heh, not exactly my thing, I'm afraid.

Well I like some metal, but eighties metal just has too many, er, connotations. What post-Ozzy Sabbath is good, then?

Mob Rules, Heaven and Hell, Born Again and Cross Purposes are stone cold killers, but very connotation-heavy. Anything other than Seventh Star will have at least a few great tracks though.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
thats a real prejudice...

i dont like country... i hate country and anything on american radio.

yeah country sucks

Draw for the Townes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Amplesamples

I'm prejudiced against:

Trance

I'm also against dance music by 'real' musicians. how did 4hero go from
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

to this:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
like all prejudices of any kind, musical prejudice comes exclusively from ignorance and fear.

there is nothing wrong with ignorance, and i'm not suggesting that everyone should appreciate everything.

but the difference between the stupids and the wise is the complete dismissal of something rather than admission of having no experience / knowledge / understanding about it.

yeah I was going to say...reading this thread, the overwhelming white male bias of this board was...phew...coming across loud and clear

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Important to leave one's prejudices open to alteration. I have held a long prejudice against NME-type indie rock since discovering hip hop/reggae etc a decade ago, but I saw Pete Doherty at a festival this weekend and was actually rather impressed.

Edit: But not as storming a performance as Lykke Li, who has stunning pop nous and Bjork-ish presence, and should surely be a star by now...what gives?

Client Eastwood

No, it was never meant to be good, its been s***e from day one. Anyway in the spirit of cloning, how about we create a hybrid new genre: trancehall? What would that be like?

Im sure trancehall is part of a Leftfield lyric. No really . . .

edit : true - towards the end of Release the Pressure. Somethng like 'trancehall bizness taking over inna your area'

Last edited:
D

droid

No, it was never meant to be good, its been s***e from day one. Anyway in the spirit of cloning, how about we create a hybrid new genre: trancehall? What would that be like?

The Copenhagen shottas are gonna be gunning for you if you're not careful.

audiofelch

I heard "Stillness is the Move" by The Dirty Projectors on Radio 1 and thought it was great, then found out they're some sort of Amerindie blog-hyped Pfork band, so I'm not having that. Some of this music may have even been played on live instruments!

The Dirty Projectors are far too mindboggingly diverse, technicolour and daring to be reduced to 'pfork band'.. the new album is fantatsic.. as was Rise Above before it. Watch them live.. completely breathtaking and emotionally forceful.

They're one of the few bands around that keep me interested in live, guitar-based music.