Music you are prejudiced against

zhao

there are no accidents
No, it was never meant to be good, its been s***e from day one.

you, sir, are mistaken. back in 93 psy-trance was amazing. i saw hallucinogen along with 5 or 6 other old school guys tear the place up... relentless and unstoppable. and i was sober.

sure it sucks now, but saying that it sucked from day 1 is like saying jungle sucked from day 1 because Diesel Boy is all you know.

swears

preppy-kei
The Dirty Projectors are far too mindboggingly diverse, technicolour and daring to be reduced to 'pfork band'.. the new album is fantatsic.. as was Rise Above before it. Watch them live.. completely breathtaking and emotionally forceful.

They're one of the few bands around that keep me interested in live, guitar-based music.

Well, I listened to the album on spotify and the fella's voice did my head in. Nothing else on the album interested me at all. My point is I got the impression that the single was by some new quirk-pop female solo artist, if I'd have known it was a band, I wouldn't have given it a chance. Yes, I am a bit funny like that.

3 Body No Problem

you, sir, are mistaken. back in 93 psy-trance was amazing. i saw hallucinogen along with 5 or 6 other old school guys tear the place up... relentless and unstoppable. and i was sober.

I've always though that trance, when it came about around 1990/1, it was remarkable for it's boring rhythms vis-a-vis it's predecessors.

audiofelch

Well, I listened to the album on spotify and the fella's voice did my head in. Nothing else on the album interested me at all. My point is I got the impression that the single was by some new quirk-pop female solo artist, if I'd have known it was a band, I wouldn't have given it a chance. Yes, I am a bit funny like that.

fair enough! yes, his voice is an acquired taste.

STN

sou'wester
Turntablism. I'm sure some of it's good, but even the idea of it gives me a headache, it's like Carhartt jeans woven into musical form.

swears

preppy-kei
Progressive house is the worse than trance, imo. Funny name for a genre that's hardly changed since about 1993. At least some of the poppier trance stuff has good cheese value.

zhao

there are no accidents
Progressive house is the worse than trance, imo. Funny name for a genre that's hardly changed since about 1993. At least some of the poppier trance stuff has good cheese value.

hey that's my joke! (it hasn't progressed in 10 years) but of course the word in this case, as when it's used with rock, means an almost narrative progression of the compositions... unlike mnml

Papercut

cut to the bone
Try Ce'cile or Tanya Stephens. It may subvert your idea of dancehall-as-baritone-male-braggadacio.

ok, i'll give them a go. i've gotten a few things on the back of recommendations here that i really like, so maybe its time for me to put the prejudices aside.

also, trancehall? thats a nasty idea. my worst nightmare.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Prog house was the first kind of dance music that I was exposed to significant ammounts of, so for that reason I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for it.
However, I would accept that Leftism by Leftfield is an album that has aged really badly. Other things, like some of Underworld's records, stand up rather better.

Ory

warp drive
prog house is a pretty boring genre, but there's still plenty of good tracks to find. also I think it's unfair to say that 2003 prog sounds just like 1993. anything dependent on technology would have changed vastly in that time.