Whats it like on the outside looking in?

mms

sometimes
Closer to home, there's a magic rave in an episode of inspector morse. There was also an episode of Neighbours where they go to 'Earthrave' cue cautionary kaleidoscopic camera mayhem!

I met this guy at my cousin's wedding who was immersed in UK dance music in the same way a lot of nerdy guys over here (and there) immerse themselves in reggae...

yeah with that lush track that samples some classical music and morse gets all sniffy cos it's the hallelujah chorus - apparently checkng on the net that was written by danny boyle and the scene was staged by fantazia
there was that anti drugs add with that chubb rock - ya bad chubbs in the background too, that was wicked.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Okay. It's just my pet peeve about the distortion.
:)

Yeah 'course it's allowed. I already admitted it's just my preciousness about what I love and sadness at seeing music I like disappear from clubs and be replaced by music that makes me think the people making it don't even like it themselves.

There's probably a few records with distorted 303 and stuff that I like. I was just using it as a shorthand to describe the recent wave of records with huge clipping on the whole mix and distorted vocals etc.

Nomad, if you can't see how easily what you originally said could be interpreted in another way, I don't know how to explain it to you any more clearly.
You didn't say you'd never been to a "house club" or "house night", you said you had "never been to a club where they play house music. Ever."

I hope you can understand how I got a different meaning from it which led me to think it was odd for you to be talking about Warehouse (namechecking the original house CLUB, not a record or artist) given your apparent 100% avoidance of house music in clubs.

It's absolutely fine for you to now explain that you meant something different and I take it all back, OK?

When I said "a club where they play house music" I meant a club that is known for playing house music. Obviously I didn't mean that I'd never heard house ever! Who's never heard a single house track in a club?

And how did you go from that to the idea that I'd "avoided" house music in clubs. This is certainly not the case. In fact, MY WHOLE POINT was that you don't have to "avoid" house music in the U.S., because it's NOT THAT POPULAR here.

mms

sometimes
i
however, i did state upthread that i take my friend's opinions of a record into account when considering whether to play something to other people or not. that is, i'm not really a dj, but i do on occasion have opportunity to play records for people. therefore, i consider whether this is really a record that needs to be played, or whether i might have something else in my collection that might prove more of a revelation, or that hasn't been played to death by countless other people, or can i find a record that has more wit or more power or more whatever . . . .

so yeah, i suppose i do seek approval when playing records -- but not easy approval

i think personally it's always good to play stuff you like isn't it. lfo is a fantastic record too.

this is rather snarky
Sorry, didn't mean to be. I really wasn't arguing, just chatting about your experience and mine.

I don't have patience with people who base their opinion on what they think is perceived by others as cool, rather than on what actually moves them inside. I don't mean that as an attack on you, but I'm just trying to encourage you not to be swayed by elitists and to enjoy what you like without no shame in your game!

Nomadologist, it's OK, you've explained what you meant and I've agreed that I understood you and just tried to point out the ambiguity in your initial sentence.
There's no need for the CAPITALS MAN!

;)

zhao

there are no accidents
i think personally it's always good to play stuff you like isn't it. lfo is a fantastic record too.

see all that petty bickering amongst taste-nazis and cooler-than-thou scenesters slagging each other off for this electro track or that 2-step number, is part of the reason why I'm opting to circumvent the entire situation of hipster train spotting and wrecking altogether, by adhering to a strict program of Balkan Speed Brass and Algerian Rai mixed with Kenyan Kabuka :D

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
see all that petty bickering amongst taste-nazis and cooler-than-thou scenesters slagging each other off for this electro track or that 2-step number, is part of the reason why I'm opting to circumvent the entire situation of hipster train spotting and wrecking altogether, by adhering to a strict program of Balkan Speed Brass and Algerian Rai mixed with Kenyan Kabuka :D
So not because you like it then?

:slanted:

mms

sometimes

well you've got to be sensitive to an event and that's easy if you like lots of music.
i'd never play hard techno at my aunties wedding or anything!

anyway a person who can't dance to big fun is a big sir nose devoid'o funk.
truly not alive.

i just noticed i don't have big fun or good life on 12" i've got the lp!

Well I'm glad you're admitting that you like it in front of us!
:D

everyone on here thinks it's rubbish for girls, we only like the KMS testpressing mispress Wizard remix from 1984.

All about the Mayday mix of 'Praise'.

Funny I saw this yesterday at my mate's house and asked him about it but his turntable was under a load of clothes and stuff.... never heard it.
Actually I'm chuffed that I've got a Mayday track left to discover.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Funny I saw this yesterday at my mate's house and asked him about it but his turntable was under a load of clothes and stuff.... never heard it.
Actually I'm chuffed that I've got a Mayday track left to discover.
I think it's great - really euphoric and building with loads of layers of pianos and strings and things, and those funny modulated delay sounds he uses. Bit of an end of the night sort of thing. And you get Carl Craig and FSOL mixes on the 12".

But not as much fun as Big Life or Good Fun really. ;)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
justice make me laugh but i don't think that musically they're anything special. vitalic did the whole "electronic music can rock harder than rock" thing much better imo.

Yeah, Vitalic is wicked, it has to be said. Especially the church-organ synth sound he uses that brings to mind '60s psychedelic prog rock. :)