don_quixote

Trent End
i noticed that despite it being nothing more than just a little trip (if that) he went down holding all sorts like it was the worst challenge ever committed.

don_quixote

Trent End
both team in a prisoners dilemma here. the status quo favours both teams, but both know a goal elsewhere could change things unless the status quo is maintained, yet neither trusts the other

grizzleb

WOO-HOO! The result I'd been hoping for went ahead. I ended up watching the Honduras Switzerland game after the second half because I didn't want to see a 10 men Chile get pummelled... They're a cracking side, but they'll find it difficult missing three men against Brazil.

Anti-football has been gratifyingly ineffective at this world cup. A tasty set of second round games to come. :cool:

hucks

Your Message Here
Watched this one in a Chilean bar in S London. Gratifying that their standard chant is every bit as rubbish as Ingerland Ingerland Ingerland. May go back there for the Brazil game, if the timing is right.

Great 1st half, funny old 2nd half. Anyway, The Right Result

truly brilliant? oh ffs stop talking bollocks, i could score that

Edit: Presuming this referred to Villa's goal - can you play for my 6-a-side team? That was incredible technique. I wouldn't back 1 player in the England side to score from there. Imagine Crouch hitting a 50 yarder like that. I can't.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
i did almost post a clarification, just let off a bit of frustration at the fact spain had fluked a goal after chile had bossed the match up to that point; didn't realise it was with his wrong foot either. however for people calling it the best goal of the tournament so far... pfft, it was nothing on quagliarella's sublime chip yesterday

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
have a wee hunch tomorrow's lusophone clash might be a bit more special than the lusophone clash in '06...

who is this prick and where does he get this garbage from?

fuck off Switzerland.

Sven, your caution cost you, you could have had the Portuguese in that first match, and now look at it...

hucks

Your Message Here
who is this prick and where does he get this garbage from?

fuck off Switzerland.

Sven, your caution cost you, you could have had the Portuguese in that first match, and now look at it...

Now, we ALL have 20/20 hindsight, but wasn't going for the win always the right thing to do for exactly the reason that played out today? ie assuming Portugal beat N Korea, they would only need a point v Brazil who would only need one also cos they were always likely to beat Ivory Coast. The IC Portugal game was a 2nd place play off that was far more important for IC than Portugal. And Sven bottled it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Now, we ALL have 20/20 hindsight, but wasn't going for the win always the right thing to do for exactly the reason that played out today? ie assuming Portugal beat N Korea, they would only need a point v Brazil who would only need one also cos they were always likely to beat Ivory Coast. The IC Portugal game was a 2nd place play off that was far more important for IC than Portugal. And Sven bottled it.

very true.

i'm just gutted for the general African teams advance reasons. i know we could say the opening match was of a piece w, er, 'funky' perfomances, but in the second half IC went for it, showed a little bit more than their opponents, and who knows?
etc.

now look.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
!

it might not be anschluss but it's pretty close.

I dunno, both teams were a bit cautious but neither just turtled up either, there were plenty of chances on both sides, esp. for Brazil. it's not as if IC was going to go through either, with that 9 (9!) goal differential going on. really looking forward to the next round - Spain-Portugal should be fantastic, the Iberian Peninsula grudge match.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
From another forum:

Let's Hope the N.Korean Team Perform Better in Their Last Match

North Korea is now said to be in shock from the 7-0 rout of its national football team by Portugal in the World Cup. It is not easy for North Koreans, who have lived in a bubble of propaganda throughout their lives, to accept the reality of the live TV broadcast of the match on Monday. That the North Korean announcer and commentator were speechless when the score surpassed 4-0 indicates how shocking the defeat was.

It was only to be expected that the extremely defense-centered North Korean football team would sustain a devastating defeat once that strategy was overturned. The North Korean leadership appears to have unaware of that danger when it decided to have the match broadcast live. Kim Jong-il's passion for football may also have something to do with the rash decision.

North Korea miraculously advanced to the quarterfinals in the 1966 World Cup. All the players were declared heroes, and the people began to love football. But the sport collapsed in January 1967 when Kim Il-sung purged the Hamgyong provincial faction. When two central party committee secretaries, Pak Kum-chol and Kim To-man, who were in charge of the regime's football organization, were purged, footballers fell victim as well. All the 1966 World Cup heroes were the offspring of landowners or businessmen. Sin Yong-gyu, the team captain named by FIFA as one of the best 11 of the world, was the son of a big landowner. The team was dissolved and captain Sin was banished to a ceramic plant in North Hamgyong Province, never to return to football. Most players except Pak Tu-ik were sent to concentration camps or the countryside.

"That was the end of football," said Yun Myong-chan, a former manager of the North Korean team who defected to the South in 1999.

It was Kim Jong-il who decided to revive the national football team. He inaugurated the so-called April 25 team by recalling the World Cup heroes. His passion for soccer was such that he remembered the names of all the players and was seriously aggrieved when repeated attempts to reach the World Cup were thwarted. He promised the players a Mercedes and a US$10,000 reward if they managed to advance to the 1994 World Cup in the U.S. Jang Song-taek, now the No. 2-man in the North, reportedly prepared the purse. When the team was eliminated in a 3-0 rout by South Korea in a preliminary in Qatar, Kim instructed the team not to take part in overseas games for a decade but build up strength at home. As a consequence, North Korea did not participate in matches abroad for six years.

Jang is also said to be a football fan, and spent a lot of time with the national football team during his years in the wilderness. At Jang's insistence, Kim took the extraordinary step of inviting players from the General Association of Korean Residents in Japan or Chongryon. The skill of the North Korean football team improved substantially and put up an unexpectedly good fight against top-ranking Brazil. But Portugal taught the North a lesson on what the reality is in world football.

The North's advance to this year's World Cup and its brave performance against Brazil have reminded the North Korean leadership and the people of the good old days. But defeat by Portugal has replaced that elation with shame and despair again. If this moves Kim Jong-il to rage, nobody can tell what will happen. The team that was routed by South Korea were sent from the airport straight to the coal mines. One Portuguese player has expressed a fear that the North Korean players might be punished back home. That's not a groundless apprehension. As a defector from the North myself, I pray that the North Korean players put up a good fight in their final match on Friday night.

No sauce, but internesting none the less.

don_quixote

Trent End
remember the popbitch post i made about a certain armbanded england player? apparently news of the screws are running it tomorrow.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Seeing as it's been around for awhile now, I figured that story maybe didn't have much truth to it or there was an injunction. If they're running it tomorrow though, are they trying to outdo the Daily Mail in the 'hated by English football fans' stakes?