don_quixote

Trent End
it's been a good little match here, south korea are really going hell for leather to try and get back into it... vulnerable to a decent counter but uruguay don't seem to be pushing men forward but don't look comfortable either

bandshell

Grand High Witch
It's a shame Forlan wasn't more prominent. Great player to watch when he gets going. Good result for Uruguay but it wasn't their best performance. Korea looked disorganised and scrappy.

Suarez's second goal was an absolute peach. He nearly took that photographer's head off jumping the barrier.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
South Korea are my sweepstake team. Gutted

Wouldn't bet against the Uruguayans beating US or Ghana in the quarters

hucks

Your Message Here
Gwaarn Ghana!

Edit: And again! Christ, that's a finish off balance.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
that gyan goal was an absolute peach, possibly my favourite goal of the whole tournament so far because it reminded me of what we were missing due to the drogba injury.

grizzleb

A Ghana win as I thought. Wooo!! For the first 30 minutes they were immensely well organised at the back, which waned a little and then they sat back in the second half and got punished, and were lucky not to concede a number of goals. So many times a US player would find himself in a great position and just fire it at the keeper - that's why they weren't good enough to go through... Gyan's goal was great, I like to see forwards desperate to stay on their feet for a change. He and Boateng both had great games.

Well looking forward tomorrows games, both should be interesting. This tournament is well weapon.

don_quixote

Trent End
oh and im sort of glad england didn't play ghana (and i keep mistyping it as gahan!) because i don't reckon we would have done so well

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
A poor call on such an important goal would rarely happen like that in American sports. I don't understand why they don't do reviews of controversial goals like that. They have more than enough technology to do it. Although with that call, I don't think any technology more advanced than the eyes in that wasteman's head should've been necessary.

franz

yeah the linesman should just be on the goal line for that. and while i never saw what it looked like from that angle, it seemed clear enough.

mistakes will happen sometimes, it's something i accept as part of the game. Hard to say how video replay might effect the fabric (in terms of flow of play and time management), but i can say as a philosophical reactionary that i am against it here and elsewhere.

that said, England did nothing to help themselves beyond that point. I can't say how that might've changed the complexion of the game, but i can say that England let themselves get romped and that Wayne Rooney did not score a single goal in this tournament. Tough luck for them, but they obviously found a talented opponent before they managed to find their form in this tournament.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
literally schoolboy errors + failing to take the game by the scruff of the neck for any significant period of time (unlike Schweinsteiger) = oh my.

pleased for A Cole, i realise it's not saying much but the best Englishman over four matches overall.

don_quixote

Trent End
ashley cole has been the best england player for every tournament we've qualified for with him at left back. i would rip this england side up in a heartbeat because i think they're wastemen, but i would still retain ashley cole.

grizzleb

As a Scot obviously I'm more bemused at anything else at the England team and the wider response, but my take on it is that basically the Premiership has inflated their egos to such a degree where they think that they are just better than all their team-mates - there's not a group mentality. See how many times Gerrard/Lampard go for goal themselves when others are in reasonable positions. Also the psychological factor of a nation that 'expects' results rather than encourages or supports them, and a media that lacks any sense of proportion places expectations on players that far exceed what is reasonable - they think about the final first rather than getting through the group stages, etc.

Last edited: