News of the World phone hacking scandal

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess that James Murdoch's fingerprints will be all over it. I just hope that they can make something stick. According to the article it's not illegal but it must be pretty damn close to the bone.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dunno. That bit looked very bad because it's another person who is adamant that he's lying but it's still just their word against his and the council doesn't really have any power to force him to answer when he says "I can't remember" or "I didn't know". Which he does to nine out of ten questions. To anyone who is watching it it's obvious that he's lying or incompetent or, by far the most likely, both but I don't really know what that means in terms of his future.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The main thing they're banging on about now is how Murdoch had just enough knowledge to sign-off the payment of half a bar to Taylor but not quite enough information to be aware that there was any other phone hacking going on at all. Which is a rather precise amount of information for him to have had. But if he says that's how much information he had then what can you do?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
It's just a case of asking the right question in the right way trapping him I suppose. He's obviously been coached to death but he's not exactly playing a blinder. Blatantly evasive.
All those body language experts would have a field day here. shifty shifty

IdleRich

IdleRich
He's basically said that Crone and Myler lied to the committee, Crone lied to Thurlbeck (or else Thurlbeck lied to Watson), Crone and Myler have lied to each other. The people from the paper should have told me what was happening but they didn't. Everyone has lied all over the place and been totally incompetent - except for him weirdly enough.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone else think it was more than slightly lame when the first thing Louise Mensch said was "I can't stay long I've got to pick the kids up from school".

IdleRich

IdleRich
So now Murdoch is admitting - well he's not admitting, it's come to light (the standard pattern) - that he had received an email that contained the information that he swore blind he hadn't seen. However he says that he didn't read the email merely asking to be briefed on it at a meeting the next day which did happen and at which Croner says he briefed him on the contents of the email but at which Murdoch says he didn't. Seems weird for Croner to put it in the email if he was gonna hide it from him in the meeting the next day but I suppose that must be what happened.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/13/james-murdoch-phone-hacking-email

Next he'll be saying that Croner did tell him in the meeting but he had his fingers in his ears.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's interesting that the Guardian has now partly rowed back from what was the most sensational claim - that Mulcaire or other NOTW related people deleted voicemails from Milly Dowler's phone. What they stated as fact previously they are now being more cautious about

The NoW's conduct in hacking the missing 13 year-old's phone in search of a scoop had been so brazen that it led the police team to suspect that the paper had also been further responsible for the mysterious deletion of Milly's voicemails – a deletion on 24 March which had also given the Dowlers false hope their daughter was still alive.
Sources familiar with the Surrey investigation confirm that in April 2002, at the height of the search for Milly, a detective recorded specific police suspicion that the NoW was behind the voicemail deletion on the teenager's phone. This appears to have been the origin of a Surrey police belief which surfaced again years later during a Met police inquiry into phone hacking and which featured in a Guardian article published this July.
That picture was confirmed on Tuesday by the family's solicitor, Mark Lewis.
In a statement, he said of the Dowlers: "They have a clear recollection that the police told them that the News of the World had listened to their missing daughter's voicemail and deleted some of the messages."

Also

A senior executive at the Sun has claimed the Guardian "effectively sexed up" its investigation into phone hacking. Richard Caseby, joint managing editor of the News of the World when it closed in July, admitted that "hacking by the NoW was wrong and is rightfully condemned by all". However, after the Metropolitan police told the Leveson inquiry that it was now considered "unlikely" that the private detective Glenn Mulcaire, who had been hired by the tabloid to hack murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler's phone, had been responsible for deleting her voicemail messages, Caseby attacked the Guardian for its coverage. He told a Lords committee on the future of investigative journalism yesterday: "The Guardian's statement of fact over 34 articles that the paper had given [Milly Dowler's] parents false hope is quite another matter because that accusation turned what was natural condemnation into a wave of such public revulsion that the NoW could not really function as a going concern any more."
Ironic if the News of the Screws was actually put out of action by a newspaper story that was essentially untrue.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So... now four Sun journalists have been arrested and the police are investigating The Times. Oh dear, oh dear.