News of the World phone hacking scandal

Bangpuss

I will certainly be buying the first edition of the Sun on Sunday, if only to laugh/scream in anger at the inevitable first editorial, which will be full of contrition, mention the words 'learnt from our mistakes', and pledges to abide by the law, the PCC Code, the Ten Commandments, etc. It will set out its agenda in comically euphemistic and misleading terms, with phrases like 'Quality Journalism' and 'Family Newspaper'.

Interesting times in my parents' household, too. As loyal Sun and (former) NOTW readers, they've been getting by with the Sunday Mirror for the past few months, god bless them. And they will sure make an interesting test case as working class, middle England tabloid devotees, in whether all the negative publicity surrounding News International will make them think twice about going back to Rupert on a Sunday.

One thing's for sure: After a few months, during which sales will be artificially high (just like for the last edition), the Sun on Sunday will be whipping all the other Sunday titles' asses in sales -- aided, most probably, by my parents' loyal custom, no matter how much I nag them.

luka

ssoc_amazons1.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Depressingly the Sunday Sun is out today... I'd be tempted to buy it to see what it's like but really there is no point. Apparently in the editorial it pledged to be

"fearless, outspoken, mischievous and fun" and said the Sun has been a "tremendous force for good", adding: "It is worth reminding our readers, and detractors, of that as we publish our historic first Sunday edition during what is a challenging period. News International closed our sister paper the News of the World over the phone-hacking scandal.
"Since then some of our own journalists have been arrested, though not charged, over allegations of payments to public officials for stories. We believe those individuals are innocent until proven guilty. It has been a sobering experience for our entire industry."
So business as usual, more shitty celebrity news from the same place as before and people will no doubt keep on pumping money and influence into the Murdoch empire.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Luka, do you think you could sort us out with an old 1950s comic-book drawing of a muscle-bound hero futilely chopping a hydra's heads off? Ta.

Bangpuss

I did buy the Sunday Sun today, and even by their standards it's a huge pile of turd. It doesn't even have the wit the Sun usually has. By going soft on the front with Amanda Holden, ccombined with largely positive non-stories (and no scoops other than a feature about Luis Suarez' granny that doesn't really count as a scoop other than the fact that they managed to track her down and pay her for an exclusive interview) it's more like a weekly woman's magazine with a huge football section and the odd bit of scaremongering about imminent war with Iran.

The editorial, as predicted, displays the Murdoch spin machine's selective memory in full gush mode. It reminds us of the duty it serves the nation by exposing kit shortages in the armed forces, getting behind campaigns like Help for Heroes, etc. It regurgitates lines from the Sun's first leader column: "This newspaper will not be produced for the politicians or pundits. It will be produced for you." It even shows just enough contrition for the wrongdoings that have been proven at News International, like phone hacking. But it reminds us that those of its team arrested for phone hacking, deleting emails, bribing public officials, etc. are "innocent until proven guilty." Just like they remind us when other people are accused of crimes. Like they did with Chris Jeffries.

Neither does it doesn't mention the racism, homophobia and slew of false/misleading/carefully tailored stories all designed to vilify sections of the population, some of which (and only some) have been flagged up by the PCC and acknowledged in tiny apologies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone know how many it sold? I guess a lot but it's early days. Apparently people have traditionally preferred a different paper on Sundays (hence The Observer, NOTW etc etc I guess) but we'll see how this works out.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I would in no way put it past him to have bought a lot of those 3m, just to produce good first-issue figures.

crackerjack

What's that then? The Leveson stuff here ?

Yep. Blows a huge hole in the recent fightback by Kavanagh et al.

Also £600k to Charlotte Church is a pretty dramatic and public measure of their depth of their depravity. Only previous cases getting anything like that were the parents of a murdered child and those getting hush money.

edit: Oh yes, and confirmation that Coulson and Brooks were warned back in '06. How could I forget that perjury/contempt (which is it that lying to parliament covers) trial speeding up on the inside lane?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/27/brooks-coulson-phone-hacking-2006

Last edited:

Bangpuss

The Evening Standard reports, "Church given £600,000 after being 'sickened and disgusted' by NoW." Now I have frequently been sickened and disgusted by many of Rupert Murdoch's publications, but am yet to receive a penny. Once again, it's one rule for the rich and famous, one rule for the rest of us.

crackerjack

Ha ha.

Church also makes the most sympathetic celeb witness so far by some distance. Humble background, mother with tragic illness, young, very likeable and immensely fucked over by blackmailing scum.

Also sounds like she won't just take the money and fade away - is apparently looking to sue another paper over invasion of privacy. Good on her.

Bangpuss

Does anyone here want to pull a stunt with me? I want to hire some billboard space outside News International and paste one of the Sun's Tough Justice/Prison Works headlines on there. Or hire a van and offer porridge to NI hacks as they go to work, to get them ready for jail food.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Brooks, a keen rider, is married to racehorse trainer Charlie Brooks. A friend said: "Rebekah acted as a foster carer for the horse. Anybody can agree to do this with the Met if they have the land and facilities to pay for its upkeep."
That's alright then.

Bangpuss

If the horse whispers something to her, does paying for its upkeep count as bribing a policeman? We're on shaky legal grounds here.

Leo

curious to know if this changes how people in the UK view those (police, government officials) who were taking the bribes? obviously there are some bad apples in every government and police force, but this latest sun situation seems to be laying out a story of systematic corruption. are people shocked and outraged, or cynical enough that they just accept it as the way things are? think there will be any real repercussions on the government or police?