Twees're Good (except they're not)

e/y

^ugh

don't know if this counts as twee, but I've noticed more and more people obsessing over gourmet burgers, which for some reason reminds me of people going batshit over cupcakes.

or maybe I'm just jealous b/c I can't eat burgers...

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

has anyone mentioned that walthamstow has walthamstow village? i only found out about this recently. whoever said that stuff is mostly down to ppl from the country coming in to london was prob right. i do wonder what the numbers would look like, contrasting people from abroad in london vs people from rest of the country in london.

this post has made me want to taste foie gras btw.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
except when they are reduced to one-third the size, made with a foie gras mixture and rebranded as "sliders".

That sounds more out-and-out pretentious than 'twee'. I'd have thought tweeness was all about, if not vegetarianism/veganism per se, then organic free-range meat bought from a farmer who named and cherished each of his animals and shed a single tear when each one unfortunately had to be sent to animal heaven so we could eat their delicious, conscience-alleviating meat. And foie gras is pretty much the opposite of that.

But yeah, nothing twee about burgers, and I'm happy to pay a bit more for one that tastes of real meat and comes with good relish and stuff.

Off topic: I had sweetbreads (pancreas) for the first time today, pretty good actually.

Edit: apparently 'sweetbread' is used for a number of glands, including the pancreas, thymus and others. So god knows what it was. It was pale and a bit squishy but quite tasty.

Last edited:

grizzleb

This twee shit is just the thing end of the lifestyle fetishism wedge isn't? The relatively recent (?) notion that you in some sense create your own person through the stuff you consume and put on facebook, the tying in of personal identity and meaning which what you consume (which has now become a much broader term, and also includes stuff you do/make as well). The twee thing is like a particular microcosm, one that's easily identifiable because it's so holistic, but it's not far away from what most of us do in some ways or other. I find the aesthetic kind of cringeworthy yes but I dunno, who am I to judge on that basis...

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The other day I was in a cafe which, instead of a tip jar, had an old fashioned metal teapot labelled "Magic Teapot Wishing Well". I was genuinely seething with fury for the rest of the day...

SecondLine

The relatively recent (?) notion that you in some sense create your own person through the stuff you consume

I'm sure there is an adam curtis doc about this - 'freedom' as pre-determined matrix of consumer choices. But I think that's a bit beyond the remit of a thread about hating twee

comelately

Wild Horses
Hating twee is in itself twee.

I appreciate that's a flippant statement, but it's not true. What you say about twee being the thing (sic) end of the lifestyle fetishism wedge has a germ of truth to it, but the 'oh who am I to judge' reaction is the twee one. Human being make judgements, create meaning out of a meaningless universe - and people can do a lot better than that twee ukulele and homemade jam shit.

I may have misrecalled, but I think Adam Curtis linked the rise of 'freedom through consumer choice' to Esalen and the counter-cultures of the 60s and 70s. Interestingly (well possibly anyway), 'The Artful Badger' who are, I think, probably the principal targets of the Daily Mash article below - actually met whilst attending 'ecstatic dance' events firmly rooted in work developed at Esalen by somewhat culty (imho - her husband is a lawyer) dancer-musician-shaman-thingy Gabrielle Roth. So yes, I do think these things are linked.

muser

I'd like to say that I dont think there is anything wrong with ukeleles or home made jam in and of themselves, home made jam is nice and i imagine its quite fun to make. I'd like to make some jam, chutney I would prioritise though of course given the choice

comelately

Wild Horses
I'd like to say that I dont think there is anything wrong with ukeleles or home made jam in and of themselves, home made jam is nice and i imagine its quite fun to make. I'd like to make some jam, chutney I would prioritise though of course given the choice

I don't think there's anything wrong with homemade jam per se (I agree, I think chutney is probably the better priority). Again, it comes down to the difference between making individual choices and buying into a culture 'off the shelf' - of course there is a plausible deniability to the whole thing which only serves to make it all the more infuriating.

I don't think properly hard-boiled relativism is twee, but to enter into a game where you pretend you don't make judgements fits better into the twee aesthetic than actually being passionately against something. I've been reviewing the thread, and watched Renata Salecl's RSA video - and I think the point she makes about people being nervous about being judged for their choices is quite explanatory; twee has a plausible deniability to it and thus critique doesn't make it much past forums such as these. Who can be against ukeleles and homemade jam?

Leo

i guess it's about context, isn't it? homemade jam is fine when my granny does it in her suburban kitchen but it somehow becomes annoying when done by a twirlly mustachioed hipster in his converted industrial loft in brooklyn.

SecondLine

i guess it's about context, isn't it? homemade jam is fine when my granny does it in her suburban kitchen but it somehow becomes annoying when done by a twirlly mustachioed hipster in his converted industrial loft in brooklyn.

give it 50 years and people's grannies will be aged, twirly mustachioed hipsters. what then?