Twees're Good (except they're not)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
What I intensely dislike about all of this is just personal - my disappointment at the future. Of course consumerism/waste is bad etc etc, but I wanted the future to be glossy and space age. I didn't want us to be knitting and making jam. It's depressing, like some weird form of self-flagellation through culture.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Ultimately, if I were compiling a list of all the things that are wrong with the world right now, hipster jam-makers would probably not be in the top ten.

You'll regret those words in a few years when they ship you off to the jam chambers.

comelately

Wild Horses
Ultimately, if I were compiling a list of all the things that are wrong with the world right now, hipster jam-makers would probably not be in the top ten.

I really hate the idea that somehow I'm supposed to somehow 'reserve' my rage until someone carefully analyses exactly who/what/where the optimal targets of my supplies of rage energy are. Fucknut white middle-class spawn of white middle class fucknuts would certainly make my top ten if I was to try to compile a list of things that are wrong in the world right now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fucknut white middle-class spawn of white middle class fucknuts would certainly make my top ten if I was to try to compile a list of things that are wrong in the world right now.

Then I respectfully suggest you fuck the fuck off and do something authentically working-class like some kind of ecstatic tantric yoga samba trance session. While reading Deleuze and negging a few bitches. And being on the whole a thoroughly superior sort of chap.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Assuming that anyone who makes jam must be middle class is an incredibly middle-class attitude.

grizzleb

Then I respectfully suggest you fuck the fuck off and do something authentically working-class like some kind of ecstatic tantric yoga samba trance session. While reading Deleuze and negging a few bitches. And being on the whole a thoroughly superior sort of chap.

I prefer a statistically improbable lifelong struggle to get out of poverty cheers

comelately

Wild Horses
I prefer a statistically improbable lifelong struggle to get out of poverty cheers

Well quite.

Like it or not Mr. Tea, I'm a council estate boy whose mother felt forced to try and get me into the local independent school on a scholarship because the local high school was so shitty. I believe I was the first kid from my primary school to do that, despite the independent school being only 2 miles away.

I never said that all jam-makers are middle-class anymore than all people who go to yoga are middle-class. I do kinda concede your point regarding 'ecstatic dance sessions' - in a sense exploring that arena was an interesting mistake. An interesting period of discovery, not least discovering the bourgeois underpinnings of such scenes. But getting people to stretch their bodies, jump around a bit and maybe dance around a bit too doesn't have to be woefully middle-class and I'm not convinced 'devotionality' has to necessarily entail fluffed-up middle-class fascism.

Working class men tease and banter with women all the time. I don't tend to think 'negging' is a good thing to try to actively learn to do, but......whatever really. If you think it's some kind of big deal, then by all means think that. Authenticity is not a sacred cow for me.

Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
sp1101watjjyp4.jpg

This joke doesn't quite work, but it's still funny.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well quite.

Like it or not Mr. Tea, I'm a council estate boy whose mother felt forced to try and get me into the local independent school on a scholarship because the local high school was so shitty. I believe I was the first kid from my primary school to do that, despite the independent school being only 2 miles away.

I never said that all jam-makers are middle-class anymore than all people who go to yoga are middle-class. I do kinda concede your point regarding 'ecstatic dance sessions' - in a sense exploring that arena was an interesting mistake. An interesting period of discovery, not least discovering the bourgeois underpinnings of such scenes. But getting people to stretch their bodies, jump around a bit and maybe dance around a bit too doesn't have to be woefully middle-class and I'm not convinced 'devotionality' has to necessarily entail fluffed-up middle-class fascism.

Working class men tease and banter with women all the time. I don't tend to think 'negging' is a good thing to try to actively learn to do, but......whatever really. If you think it's some kind of big deal, then by all means think that. Authenticity is not a sacred cow for me.

But why all this ridiculously OTT rhetoric about "Fucknut white middle-class spawn of white middle class fucknuts"? Inverted snobbery is just as pathetic and tiresome a prejudice as any other. What qualifies one as a "fucknut", anyway? If you just mean a stupid or unpleasant person then I hope I don't need to point out that "fucknuts" can be dirt poor or billionaires.

And where does the "fascism" bit come in - is jam inherently fascistic, or something? Or is it just a lazy philosophy-student way of saying there's something you don't like but can't quite put your finger on what you don't like about it?

I have no particular interest in what kind of school you went to or what social class you identify with. FWIW neither of my parents are from privileged backgrounds and I went to a very ordinary state comprehensive. My gran used to make jam and other things from the fruit she grew in her council house's little patch of garden (which was a real luxury after growing up in poverty in prewar Scotland) mainly because it was cheaper than buying stuff in a shop. I'm not trying to get into a working-class-credentials pissing match, just trying to understand where this seething hatred for "white middle class fucknuts" comes from in an independent-school educated yoga enthusiast.

4linehaiku

Repetitive

Not the actual kid obviously, he seems like a pretty cool 9 year old.

Just listen to the soundtrack though, christ. It's been sculpted from a single solid block of handclaps, wind chimes, and sensitive dudes going "wooo hooo" & whistling.

comelately

Wild Horses
I didn't mean to imply that jam-making is inherently fascistic, I don't think I did imply that.

Obviously from a place of total compassion I would fully appreciate that everybody is part of an essentially predetermined game where they didn't choose to be themselves and are thus innocent and improper objects of hatred. Guess what? Not there yet.