"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

woops

is not like other people
Camille - Cats and Dogs

94. The French are very protective of their culture it takes someone as treacherous as me to know about stuff like this

woops

is not like other people
Serge Gainsbourg - Requiem pour un Con

96. This man is a God to me, the reason I was so keen to write a novel is cos Gainsbourg published one novel, called Evguénie Sokolov, which is about a painter who does the stinkiest farts. Love the guy playing guitar with a fag on and obviously Serge himself is smoking a fag

• Love
Reactions: Leo

woops

is not like other people
Serge Gainsbourg - Melody

97. Title track of the best album ever recorded by anyone anywhere ever, with an English session band and the orchestra and choir added later.

Reactions: Leo

woops

is not like other people
There was a David Holmes version of that track in the 90s with the bloke from Heavy Stereo playing guitar

woops

is not like other people
Gainsbourg also nicked a tune from Chopin (who was actually Polish but used a French name) to make the track Jane B

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like SG too... but I think one of his main talents that doesn't seem to be mentioned that much might have been in picking genius guys like Michel Colombier and Vannier to make his best tracks for him. That's not the full story cos the vocals are part of it - though he's barely there on Psychestanie - but I'd be interested to know how it worked, how he guided them towards the finished product.

I suppose this question of authorship is relevant to many artworks produced by a team under the umbrella of a star but I just wonder how it is never asked with respect to SG even when his underlings are heavyweights in their own right.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Serge Gainsbourg - Melody

97. Title track of the best album ever recorded by anyone anywhere ever, with an English session band and the orchestra and choir added later.

I like the reworking of the track at the end called Cargo Culte.

woops

is not like other people
I like SG too... but I think one of his main talents that doesn't seem to be mentioned that much might have been in picking genius guys like Michel Colombier and Vannier to make his best tracks for him. That's not the full story cos the vocals are part of it - though he's barely there on Psychestanie - but I'd be interested to know how it worked, how he guided them towards the finished product.

I suppose this question of authorship is relevant to many artworks produced by a team under the umbrella of a star but I just wonder how it is never asked with respect to SG even when his underlings are heavyweights in their own right.
He started out as a pianist accompanying himself as he sang so I'm quite happy to take it as read that he was prodigiously talented in his own right. Story goes he came close to jacking it in before he started having hits

woops

is not like other people
Chopin - Prelude in E minor

98. I always play this in A minor not quite as the maestro intended it, but I've read about tests on people who claimed to be able to tell the difference in keys just by listening and they were all talking bollocks

woops

is not like other people
Erik Satie - Petite Ouverture à Danser

99. Going out as I came in here, the harmonies are so delicate and beautiful it's masterful, changing mood in an instant

woops

is not like other people
Francky Vincent - Fruit de la Passion

100. No comment required for this one, that's your lot