"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

woops

is not like other people
Portishead - Small

81. Come 2010 and I moved into a flat with no neighbours where I could blast music at 5am and I did for sure. I was well into the 3rd Portishead album at the time. They'd not made an album for 10 years or something and came back just as good as they were before. Which is unheard of.

• Love
Reactions: Leo

woops

is not like other people
The Knife - The Captain

82. This is the other music I used to rinse in that flat every night. Similar vibe I think. The lyrics are scary if you're in the right mood. First two albums only they went a different direction after that... I love those synth sounds stretching out

woops

is not like other people
People tell me the bloke from the knife did some good solo stuff but I've never got into it. I've gone into detail elsewhere on this forum about how much I like Fever Ray.

woops

is not like other people
RZA - You Can't Stop Me Now

83. Also around that time I read the Tao of Wu which inspired me, this is a decent solo track he's done

woops

is not like other people
DJ Diesle - Who Are Ya (Vocal Mix)

84. I've been meaning to post this for a while, @bunnyhausen had some very out of order grime tunes in 2003 or 4, another one that goes that girl's got an STD that kind of thing

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
Anyway after I left that flat I didn't listen to music for 4-5 years not owning so much as a radio

woops

is not like other people
ABC - How to be a Millionaire

85. After that I started digging into all the old 80s synth pop stuff some of which I remember from the time, dramatic stuff, great sounds

woops

is not like other people
I don't want to post anything by anyone I actually know but I was always checking out the new Xylitol and Sculpture stuff

woops

is not like other people
The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian

86. No synths on this but it's the first music I can ever remember listening to

woops

is not like other people
Talking Heads - Burning Down the House

87. Another early memory, heard coming out of a jukebox while on holiday and I thought crikey that's good innit, never heard anything like that before. I understand if you can't listen to it after the Tom Jones version though...

luka

walk like an Egyptian is a fairly early memory for me too. Like all the popmusic of the era it gave me a bad feeling. I remember being in hospital struggling to breathe and that was playing.

woops

is not like other people
Not going to include it in my 100 now but like that ABC it's so dramatic and has wicekd female vocals

luka

why were you in the hospital, @luka?
I used to get hospitalised for asthma once every year or two. Last time was in about 2008 though it doesn't really flare up any more touch wood. I'm allergic to cats and we had cats in the house so that probably didn't help much.

• Wow
Reactions: Leo

Benny Bunter

I still love that era of 80s pop whenever I hear it. I grew up reading my older sisters copies of Smash Hits to learn the lyrics