"Emotionally Charged Electronica" & The Ineffable Sadness of Woops

linebaugh

Mogwai Fear Satan (My Bloody Valentine Remix)

77. First off Mogwai are absolutely shit and I listened to Loveless the other day and I only liked a couple of the tracks, but, like the Autumn Sweater remix I posted earlier in this thread, Kevin Shields seemed to be on a mission (edit - for two remixes at least) to outdo noise, electronica and whatever strain of rock you like, all at once. As if that wasn't enough confluence, this came out on Sven Vath's trance label EyeQ!! Probably mainly because of the Surgeon mix on there too.

Listen to all 16 minutes before having an opinion
Try isnt anything, that one may be more in your lane

Leo

Thank you for restarting this thread, @woops. Some terrific stuff here. I used to go see Jon Spencer all the time at shitty little bars with 50-100 other people, always a rip roaring time.

woops

is not like other people
Thank you for restarting this thread, @woops. Some terrific stuff here. I used to go see Jon Spencer all the time at shitty little bars with 50-100 other people, always a rip roaring time.
I bet. I think I saw them once with a 4th member wasn't up to much for some reason.

Leo

Russell Simmons is the most savage drummer I’ve ever seen live. And Spencer has the whole art school schtick going on, but he’s been doing that style for so long that I have to believe he’s got a sincere love for the sound.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
KMD - F*** With Your Head

68. Almost any track of this album would do. I love this double-bass production style still dirty and crackly and not over produced and great optimistic energetic attitude in the raps even when they're talking tough stuff, guns crack whatever. Evokes a great era

haven’t heard this is aeons, multiple rewinds

woops

is not like other people
Russell Simmons is the most savage drummer I’ve ever seen live.
plays with his whole arm not his wrist they used to say,

And Spencer has the whole art school schtick going on, but he’s been doing that style for so long that I have to believe he’s got a sincere love for the sound.
I wasn't reflexivised enough back then to get this just had that sincere love for the sound myself

Reactions: Leo

woops

is not like other people
Vert - Scope/Lifetime

78. more IDM stuff for @shiels NB this doesn't get going properly for about 4 1/2 minutes. First 12" on Bovinyl, maybe some connection to Spymania can't remember. 1999

woops

is not like other people
Pluramon - Noh

79. Post-rock, take it or leave it on top electronica label, his second album Render Bandits got all the attention for some reason this is much better.

woops

is not like other people
Pavement - Jackals, False Grails: The Lonesome Era

80. Another Pavement one included for the amazing synth sound and the breakdown

Still nowhere near a 100

woops

is not like other people
Of course. Drunken disregard for this thread last night
have a dig in and say what you think. the write ups have got very minimal again but the whole point of the thread is to explain how i got from listening to guitar bands -> guitar bands with synths -> electronica -> idm (also when i started liking some rap tracks) the reason it's hard to get to 100 is about 2002 i became too skint to afford to buy any records and started making my own music and listening to stuff, basically demo tracks by people i know, 99% of which i don't have anymore and isn't available anywhere.

the ig

Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater

10. I can see why some of you might sneer at indie music, but this is where it looked like it was going for a short while, but it didn't. Everyone started doing 20-minute freakout jams instead, so I got into electronica. I blame the Wire magazine.

This came on in a pub recently. First time I'd heard it for almost 20 years and I was like f*** me, this sounds a bit like Autumn Sweater, but it must be a remix. It wasn't though, I'd just forgotten how good it was.
I was playing I Can Hear The Heart… the other day, after long time no listen, and thinking yeah still great, still hits, still works. Twas their peak, everything came into focus with that one. After that, tweeeeee nocturnal purrings forever, ie biting too hard on just one of the sounds on this wondrous record.

Love the sugarrush noiz-pop-rock on it too: ‘Sugarcube’ ‘Deeper Into Movies’ etc, Ira’s melt-y caramel, clotted-candyfloss guitar pouring indecently all over the place. The latter like gulping SY/MBV with viciously syrupy concentration…epic but dragging and subfusc, psychedelic but not genre-bound big p psych, kicks all yr flaming lips and elephant 6 types into touch imo.

I’m neither a nuum guy particularly or a gig chap overmuch, I’m a techno in da club kid cos hardly any of the gigs ever really ignited and the club experience made so much more fucking sense. But one of the few that did was seeing Yo La Tengo at King Tut’s Glasgee around the time this album was released. They did purrrfect lil neo-Beach Boys 3 part harmony things, acapella but for the fat chap hitting a lil wooden perc thing, then Hubley back behind kit hitting krautish grooves with incredible traction, Ira turning himself inside out over his noizmaker. I was high on sleep deprivation and beer with head-tingles all gig long. The next day I interviewed Alan Rankine (Associates) for my shitty zine. A good weekend.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
what's schminde? if you mean schmindie i don't know what it is, desperately trying to showcase the acceptable side of indie music here.

the ig

Yeah short for indie schmindie. But I am in no way deriding. Cannot be if I come out as YLT fan on freaking Dissensus!

Btw Blonde Redhead went big and went shit on 4ad, with crappy windblown advert broth prod, “wistul longing” organ stop permanently out, Audi freedoms in ocean spray vibes. Awful.

But I’m sharing this gig I found which is them at their peak, best tracks from recently released Melody.. coming out with more bite and definition, but all peak Touch & Go era material (minus poss couple from 1st two). Try it, it completely fucking kills I fell in love with them all over again!

Last edited: