wild greens

Supposedly there's an American think tank report floating about that says there's so much Russian money swirling round London and the Tories in particular that it may become an obstacle for the US.

There's a good article in the Times about it the other day

Archive, no paywall

I'm sure the Tories will continue the facade though

wild greens

He is a tit but it is quite rare that you get the establishment willing to rip itself apart from the inside, so from that perspective there is certainly a morbid fascination for me

Surely the most high profile public figure to have posted on dissensus too

Leo

I'd be happier about this if the man doing it were not obviously a massive arsehole in his own right.

the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I agree with wild greens, interesting to witness the inner machinations, like "house of cards" IRL.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I agree with wild greens, interesting to witness the inner machinations, like "house of cards" IRL.

Yeah me too - I think I even used House of Cards as an example myself a week or two back didn't I? Cummings is not just an arsehole, he was instrumental in making Brexit happen and that is in turn inextricably bound up with the rise of Johnson, so him saying that Johnson must be dealt with like a dirty drain rings more than hollow. But, regardless of that, it is a fascinating spectacle; people watch stuff like House of Cards and Game of Thrones and so on cos this sort of chicanery is simply interesting in itself. You don't have to like the characters or be invested in the outcome to think that - an obvious point in that those things are just tv programmes (or books) yet people still enjoy them. When it's actual real life involving the people who run our country and the outcomes are gonna be policies that affect us all then there is an extra layer of import - although at the same time it is hard to simply disinterestedly enjoy it in the same way as when the outcome is whether or not the next ruler of Alesteron is Lord Managon of Boronia or his nefarious rival Count Melron the bastard child of the infamous Mad King.

Leo

Cummings is not just an arsehole, he was instrumental in making Brexit happen and that is in turn inextricably bound up with the rise of Johnson, so him saying that Johnson must be dealt with like a dirty drain rings more than hollow.

I think his point is after he took office, Boris became all-consumed with the media instead of focusing on making Brexit and other things he campaigned on actually work (ie, the Big Ben obsession). Cummings sounds like one of those guys who's focused on an agenda, not so much the people needed to achieve them. In his mind, Boris was useful for getting it done, but is now hopeless at anything else. Plus, there's the resentment regarding Boris' wife.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
What is the story with Cumming and Carrie Antoinette? I dunno much about that.
The strange thing is, from what I've read from Cummings (relatively) lately, he seems quite lukewarm about Brexit too so.... what is he doing?

IdleRich

IdleRich
This line makes me suspicious

Privately, many people say they like Cummings.

I've read a few things about him over the last couple of years and I have not seen, heard or read anyone ever express even the slightest hint of a flicker of a positive emotion towards any aspect of his character. I think it might be a lot of the best people who say that they like him, the very best.
Edit: they don't offer any evidence for that claim either, they are just inferring that Cumberbatch liked him cos of the way he played him on telly, seems a bit of a stretch.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Cummings says he wanted to tackle the problems of the state: productivity, skills, schools, NHS management, national security, defense procurement.
And he thought that the first step towards that was to massively damage the economy and reduce opportunity for everyone?

Leo

This line makes me suspicious

I've read a few things about him over the last couple of years and I have not seen, heard or read anyone ever express even the slightest hint of a flicker of a positive emotion towards any aspect of his character. I think it might be a lot of the best people who say that they like him, the very best.
Edit: they don't offer any evidence for that claim either, they are just inferring that Cumberbatch liked him cos of the way he played him on telly, seems a bit of a stretch.

Republicans don't say publicly that they hate Trump, think he's jerk and wish he'd drop dead either. But many of them say it privately, all the time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But what I mean is all the off-the-record, behind-the-scenes interviews I've seen has had people secretly saying what a power mad wanker freak Cummings is, who greatly overestimates his own intelligence and capabilities. I find that more convincing than an evidence-free assertion from an interview with Cummings which is not backed up by even an anonymous quote.

wild greens

Aye, i agree- obviously a self-aggrandising (sic) knobhead and its all double-speak PR to redeem his image after the driving with covid farrago

It's just a good read seeing these lads all turn around on eachother publicly isn't it. I think so anyway

IdleRich

IdleRich
It certainly is. in fact I would enjoy this sort of drama if I felt indifferent towards the participants, maybe even if liked them in fact, but when they are people I utterly despise as I do these, seeing them turn viciously on each other is simply beautiful. Of course it doesn't ameliorate the damage they have done to the country, but it may at least lessen their capacity to wreck it in the future.

luka

The portrait he paints of Johnson and the Tories is very convincing.
its the fact that all he wants to do is drink Rose and entertain Sun journalists is the reason why he'll probably be a much better Prime Minister than whoever is next in line. Much better than Starmer would be. He would probably personally flay you and wear your skin as a boiler suit. that's my prediction and you can hold me to it.