IdleRich

IdleRich
The Johnson shot about Savile was fucking weird right? Like if you just mention a paedo and Starmer together it is devastatingly witty and powerful regardless of whether it has any merit or makes any sense. What was he thinking? Why is he suddenly talking about Jimmy Savile?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Johnson shot about Savile was fucking weird right? Like if you just mention a paedo and Starmer together it is devastatingly witty and powerful regardless of whether it has any merit or makes any sense. What was he thinking? Why is he suddenly talking about Jimmy Savile?
Totally counterproductive too, of course, because it's just prompted loads of people to post photos all over social media of Savile wearing a "Vote Conservative" T-shirt while posing in front of a "Vote Conservative" van, Savile warmly embracing Margaret Thatcher, etc.

wild greens

There's an old conspiracy theory about it that all the discord lads bang out

wild greens

Well it's twofold i think

1) gets everyone talking about that instead of the fact that he's under investigation for getting on it at work
&
2) gets the sovereign citizen boys behind him in the same way Q double-speak did for Trump (I'm reading that Mike Rothschild book at the minute)

i.e.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It did seem to inhabit the one area of Trumpism that Johnson has thus far shied away from i.e repeating, or at least alluding to, baseless conspiracy theories.

okzharp

But completely random to pull it out of his arse now I thought.
not random. highly strategic. by all accounts he was advised against using that quip. the timing is the point.

Hoyle has now said that he doesn't need to withdraw it or correct record cos parliamentary protection but that it was "disappointing".

Raab called it "all part of the cut and thrust" of dispatch box interactions

Hang tight for Cummings this eve...

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
It's mad that the leader of the SNP has to leave the commons for saying that Johnson mislead the house (which he clearly has) but Johnson can basically slander Sir Kieth with no consequences.

john eden

male pale and stale
Also, as many have pointed out today, it wasn't that long ago that Johnson was saying in an interview that investigating historic child abuse was "money spaffed up the wall".

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Starmer should have said "Well as it happens I was asked to prosecute Savile's crimes, but they'd been committed over a year ago by that point, and therefore no longer counted as crimes."

wild greens

All they want is to remain the controlling party really, if he proves himself to be ineffectual or a liability at the elections in May he'll be jettisoned and on with with the project

If they remain successful with him at the helm he will stay i think. For all the talk of successors recently like the army boy and truss, they know he's the best character they have

Leo

But Mr. Johnson isn’t relying on domestic policy alone to save him. On Tuesday, he traveled to the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, to meet with President Volodymyr Zelensky. He voiced solidarity with the Ukrainian people and warned that Britain would impose sanctions on Moscow as soon as “the first Russian toecap” crossed on to Ukrainian soil. He delivered a similar message to Mr. Putin by phone on Wednesday. In a readout of the call, Downing Street said the prime minister warned him that “any further Russian incursion into Ukrainian territory would be a tragic miscalculation.”

But Russia took its own shots at Britain, and Mr. Johnson. A deputy ambassador to the United Nations, Dmitry Polyanskiy, told Sky News that “British diplomacy has shown that it is absolutely worthless,” while the Kremlin’s spokesman, Dmitri Peskov, said Mr. Putin would speak to anyone, even those who are “completely confused.”

IdleRich

IdleRich
A few years ago there was that thing where an MP used parliamentary privilege for good in that some really aggressive law firm (I think Carter-Ruck) had been retained by an oil company that had pumped loads of deadly sewage on to an African village (or something similar, I forget the precise details) and basically Carter-Ruck had got one of those so-called super-injunctions which, if I understand correctly is an injunction that bans someone from saying something, but also bans them from saying that they were banned from saying it - it ultimately prevents them from alluding to it and hinting and so on and is used to completely bury the terrible truth. It means that not only is that truth hidden, but the public don't even know that there is something that has been hidden. Anyway, an MP used parliamentary privilege to discuss this oil firm and the terrible things they had done, knowing that Carter-Ruck could not go after him for what he said in parliament. They tried to fight back by sending preemptive threats to newspapers saying that if they reported what was said then they would be at risk of being sued but the papers then reported that and it all blew up in their faces and the very thing that they had desperately tried to keep totally secret was front page news for a week. Ha, fuckers!

Anyway, like I said, that was parliamentary privilege used for good. It now seems that we are seeing the opposite of that - the Tories are exploiting the fact that they can't be sued for anything they say in parliament - along with the fact that parliament (in the form of the speaker Lindsey Hoyle) has made it very clear it will not make any effort to prevent them from lying - to simply slander the opposition. Maybe people have slandered people in the house before, inadvertently or spitefully, but this seems to be the first time that a party appears to have looked at the rules as they are and said "Hey guys, let's slander the opposition, the rules will protect us" - it's taken ten years or so from the above story for the penny to drop on this one. You would hope that if we have a situation where the rules protect the liar and slanderer and we can all see that happening, then maybe it will finally lead to an overhaul of the rules which are clearly not fit for purpose - the alternative is that it descends into even more of a farce than we've seen over the last few years...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It does seem totally nuts that the SNP guy got chucked out of the HoC for - correctly and fairly - calling Johnson a liar, yet there are no penalties for Johnson for his compulsive lying.

Carter-Ruck feature pretty regularly in Private Eye, which never fails to call them Carter-Fuck. It's one of their proprietary coinages, like Piers Moron, which is neither big, nor clever, but is certainly funny.