Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

Yes, you nailed it. Of course they'll be gobbling up steak tartare in Geneva while you're spooning glop into your grateful maw.

Tea doesn't keep up with current affairs so he isn't aware of the decades of articles about eating insects planted in global media etc

• Haha
Reactions: Leo
Even treated as a thought exercise this bit I struggle with. It's a mainstream opinion, particularly among the wealthy and well educated, but I think that kind of struggle would produce more surface perturbations.

I find it easier to imagine a situation in which there is genuine elite panic around a genuine threat. And these are the measures introduced to deal with it.

Covid has been a nice test, both for government effectiveness at applying the doom and the public's readiness to comply. Labelling anyone who disagrees a tinfoil hatter works wonderfully. Furious note taking in elite cabals.

luka

Covid has been a nice test, both for government effectiveness at applying the doom and the public's readiness to comply. Labelling anyone who disagrees a tinfoil hatter works wonderfully. Furious note taking in elite cabals.

We all agree on that.

luka

But there's all sorts of unanswered questions. Eg is there a real and imminent danger, my money would be on yes, there is. As coco-mittent, in the face of this real danger are the elites a)making plans to save all of us or b) escaping to the lifeboats (NZ) while there's still time and leaving the rest of us to fend for ourselves.

luka

But I don't have any sense of certainty about any of that and it all is subject to fluctuation.

luka

A lot of people have been agitating for exactly the sort of future HMG foresees but once it arrives (just imagine it arriving) they will hate it because it will have been imposed on them as a series of repressive measures while the Global Controllers eat steak tartare in Geneva.

luka

I think one thing that this episode has taught us is that all sorts of privations are tolerable but you really don't want to give up freedom of association if you can possibly help it but the threat of infection gives the Global Elite a tool to do precisely that

luka

You can thrive without steak tartare frankly but you want to be able to communicate freely and move freely and associate with whomever you choose. You also want to preserve randomness, chance, happenstance as a structural property of daily life.

luka

Regardless of whether you think government measures to contain corona have been justified or not you are still obliged to think about those measures as tools in an authoritarian toolkit, and what that might mean down the line.

luka

It's too easy I think, to say it (virus/global warming) is fake. It lets you off the hook. It's a much more difficult problem to think through if you assume there is a genuine threat.

That doesn't mean it's not fake. Just that you should think through what it would mean if it is genuine.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes, you nailed it. Of course they'll be gobbling up steak tartare in Geneva while you're spooning glop into your grateful maw.
Meanwhile, back in the real world, one thing that's going to make your daily steak a lot more expensive is Brexit, which you're apparently all in favour of. And this is happening right under your nose.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yet again, there is nothing particularly unusual about this Corona virus, certainly not enough to coerce the west into economic ruin and totalitarianism.
This isn't happening to "the West", though. It's happening to us and to America because both countries are run by amoral chancers.

luka

To say that
A)the threat is real and imminent and that
B)the global elite response is by no means taken in our best interests and in the absence of any transparency should be regarded with the utmost suspicion

is a completely coherent position but as a game-player (team unwashed masses) it leaves you almost completely snookered, at least for the time being.

luka

I think that there are opportunities for meaningful lives under conditions of relative material privation provided we can look after ourselves and spend our time how we wish to spend it and with the people we wish to spend it with. So long as we can communicate with one another and make our own decisions.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, one thing that's going to make your daily steak a lot more expensive is Brexit, which you're apparently all in favour of. And this is happening right under your nose.

How does Brexit affect where my local butcher sources beef locally?

Anyway, fact is, I voted remain in 2016 and Labour in 2019.

luka

Receiving pocket money from daddy may lack the dignity of working for a wage in the salt mines but if it leads to knock on effects such as the de-marketisation of art then perhaps it's worth making that switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.