Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

It's worth asking what it is possible to hope for from this future. I would be happy to exchange, I think, a huge reduction in economic compulsion in exchange for a corresponding reduction in material wealth.

I would be interested to live in a world with nothing to buy and no money to buy it with provided my time was my own and basic freedoms were preserved. I think this future would be vastly preferable to Stan's programme of enforced Nazi optimisation.

luka

Competition is preserved in all its positive and negative aspects even when it's not literally a fight for survival.

luka

I've lost the thread of this thread and have no idea what you are on about now

That's ok. I struggle to follow conversations now too, specially when the young ones are speaking, It's old age and a decline in cognitive faculties.

luka

It's fairly likely that people like me, under these conditions, will realise, with remorse, that we had underestimated the value of economic freedom as described by Hayek etc. But that will be a lesson worth learning in itself. The experiment should go ahead.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How does Brexit affect where my local butcher sources beef locally?

Because food prices are dictated by an enormously complex interacting system of international trade, subsidies and tariffs. The UK is nowhere near self-sufficient in food production and that's about to get a lot worse. For one thing, the farm subsidies that the government is introducing to replace those our farms used to get from the EU are being set at only 75% of the old level.

This week, the UK’s largest supermarkets issued a stark warning in The Times that a no-deal Brexit would force up the price of the average weekly shopping trolley by as much as 12%. You can read the full article here

That figure is an average expected price increase, but some staples are expected to rise considerably more because of tariffs. For example, beef is expected to rise 40%, chicken 22% and cheese 44%.

You really think your friendly local butcher ain't gonna charge more for beef if the supermarket price has gone up? Never mind the fact that he'll be paying more for it from the slaughterhouse, because imported meat will be more expensive so there will be higher demand for meat produced here.

Anyway, fact is, I voted remain in 2016 and Labour in 2019.

You hide it well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Don't care.

Snappy comeback. However, as a person who eats food, I care. And I'm not struggling financially, it's the poor sods who are already on the breadline that I feel sorry for.

If the WHO advised everyone to shave their heads because COVID-19 hides in people's hair and spreads like that, you'd be front of the queue for the clippers, wouldn't you? Out there hair shaming down M&S food with the other drones.

Oh God, I shouldn't give them ideas.

Go on, use the word "sheeple", you know you want to. 🤣

Leo

It's worth asking what it is possible to hope for from this future. I would be happy to exchange, I think, a huge reduction in economic compulsion in exchange for a corresponding reduction in material wealth.

I would be interested to live in a world with nothing to buy and no money to buy it with provided my time was my own and basic freedoms were preserved. I think this future would be vastly preferable to Stan's programme of enforced Nazi optimisation.

cultural issues would certainly come into play. that scenario might be more accepted in certain nations, but more of a stretch to imagine Americans embracing it. our masses are wired culturally to be entrepreneurs, to measure our self-worth by our successful careers, the size of our houses and bank accounts, the type of car(s) we own.

maybe we (Americans) will all end up working for the cabal, someone's got to run their spreadsheets, write software updates for their surveillance apparatus, do their food prep, etc.

luka

in the theory outlined by HMG the economy is purposely destroyed (ie what's happening now) so Americans will have no choice but to take the hand outs and fall in line.

There's nothing wrong with entrepreneurship, that's healthy and good.

What's wrong is when it all grows too big and oppressive, and governments become indistinguishable from corporations, shareholder profit becomes civilisations north star, whatever the cost to people, the environment. Then bad shit happens. Tear down governments and thr fake science and fake money that both supports them and is the primary means of exerting their will.

Status
Not open for further replies.