Benny Bunter

I'd have to listen more but I'm not entirely convinced by the new jersey club thump thump thump-thump-thump drill stuff tbh, I think I prefer the more UK sounding beats. I remember about 10 years ago now I got well into club but I got turned off when it all turned into trap remixes with loads of rapping, and this new club/ny drill stuff reminds me of that. I think the best club stuff is chopped up remixes of rnb and pop hits

luka

jersy club is rubbish but its brilliant if you shout about shooting people on top of it. thats all it takes.

I’m liking that, they’re sucking a lot of styles into the tapestry and still maintaining a vivid and distinct sound. even some of the very cheesy pop samples offset things in a silly way. Puts me in mind of ruff Swad lifting the police or something

Benny Bunter

What even house and disco? Would you like that just cos it had some gun mad psycho shouting over it? I doubt it. The beats definitely do matter if you have rapping on it, sometimes it's not that suited.

luka

i dispice house and disco but it could defintely be improved by some teenage sociopath shouting about guns over the top of it

Benny Bunter

I dunno, the NJ club thing is probably over emphasised though, it's just a kick drum pattern at the end of the day that's being used in drill. Apart from that this drill stuff doesn't sound much like club music. Proper club music to me is more like UK garage or something, chopped up bootleg dance music remixes of whatevers popular at the time.

Benny Bunter

Noticed there's a few articles on pitchfork about the new drill/NJ club rap/sample drill stuff which I haven't read.

that dougie b/lil uzi clip makes me yearn for nyc drill pirate radio
Do they clash? Can’t these young fellas settle their differences with an old fashioned song contest. You said that these songs are all essentially ‘sends’ though?