luka

I mean, I've literally just spent three or four days reading a book of eight pages and about a hundred words, looking up every word in the dictionary and etymological dictionary. And it's just a word sequence. There's no sentence structure there at all. Literally just a list. I'm not knocking it I'm just saying in the final analysis it is strictly gibberish.

Benny Bunter

Right, those later ones that are just lists of words you might describe as gibberish, but I don't think it applies to the one we just discussed, or for quite a lot of the stuff in kitchen poems and white stones for that matter.

Benny Bunter

I had a bit of fun thinking about this daft little one last night:

USE YOUR LOAF

Then part of it fell down.
It was like rain, down was its fall
but partial and to the side.
The side-part fell, if down
then sideways and lay
dying there too, on my side.
Thus parted, own you like it
as eye-pain. You laid it down,
her name your art dies for.
Beside herself you all part then
and her own is not so, known
down there as ways fallen apart

..which if anyone who has tried to bake a loaf of bread before knows, if you don't do it properly sometimes as it rises in the oven, it partially collapses on one side.

From there he's obviously gone off into wordplay and with no real meaning, but he's 'used his loaf' to start the whole exercise off both literally and metaphorically.

Funny one, isn't it?

woops

is not like other people
I had a bit of fun thinking about this daft little one last night:

USE YOUR LOAF

Then part of it fell down.
It was like rain, down was its fall
but partial and to the side.
The side-part fell, if down
then sideways and lay
dying there too, on my side.
Thus parted, own you like it
as eye-pain. You laid it down,
her name your art dies for.
Beside herself you all part then
and her own is not so, known
down there as ways fallen apart

..which if anyone who has tried to bake a loaf of bread before knows, if you don't do it properly sometimes as it rises in the oven, it partially collapses on one side.

From there he's obviously gone off into wordplay and with no real meaning, but he's 'used his loaf' to start the whole exercise off both literally and metaphorically.

Funny one, isn't it?
Switches over to some stuff about a muse like female figure, lost love in the last 4 lines, perhaps.

Benny Bunter

Switches over to some stuff about a muse like female figure, lost love in the last 4 lines, perhaps.
Yeah cool, I like that. And then you could link the falling down/apart of a relationship to the first bit about the failed loaf of bread collapsing (on one side, significantly) in the oven. Why not?

Definitely not just gibberish!

luka

"Jeremy Prynne isn't your oeuvre rather thin?
Please don't hit me with your rolling pin" etc

luka

Version wrote this then deleted it

What this tradition calls 'study' and 'reading' requires that any reality be treated as an obscure message addressed by an unknowable or even unnameable agency. As with a verse of the Torah, one must listen to the phenomenon, decipher and interpret it, of course, but with humour, without forgetting that this interpretation will itself be interpreted as a message no less enigmatic - Levinas would say no less marvellous - than the initial event.

luka

I think that it was clever and pertinent (though I don't know who Levinas is) so I've saved it from the cutting room floor

woops

is not like other people
What this tradition calls 'study' and 'reading' requires that any reality be treated as an obscure message addressed by an unknowable or even unnameable agency. As with a verse of the Torah, one must listen to the phenomenon, decipher and interpret it, of course, but with humour, without forgetting that this interpretation will itself be interpreted as a message no less enigmatic - Levinas would say no less marvellous - than the initial event.

if you're thick as fuck though you'll think it's just gibberish

luka

If I was going to read books to understand Prynne this sort of thing would be far higher on my list than Heidegger

Benny Bunter

As an aside, the other day I was reading High Pink on Chrome, and that has loads of culinary/food related words too. I'll type them out:

Take stock/boiled in the pasteurised skillet/reduced almost to a syrup/choice herbs/the carrots need thinning/melon seed, dyed in the grain/bite at breakfast/to be devoured at a sitting/pass the mint sauce/the caustic sheen of that crest rises in the oven/the microwave/field of parsnips/cold lunch/give or take another sandwich/this little biscuit/feedstuff/hold there like butter-fat/choice flavour/the baker's trial

Benny Bunter

Read another thing linking it to this which I can't be bothered to read. (If you want to track these things down good 'JH Prynne Bruckner'

This poem is fucking amazing, wow! Definitely gonna have to get into some of that Romantic stuff (is it from lyrical ballads?)

And yeah, I can see how it informs the Prynne poem, especially the first section - fireside musings and that.