luka

Do you remember the article by the American woman talking about studying at Cambridge going to a reading and another American came on stage and said "UP AGAINS THE WALL MOTHERFUCKERS!" That's him

luka

Jeremy Hillary Boob was originally named Jeremy Y. du Q. Adams, after Southern Methodist University professor Jeremy DuQuesnay Adams.[2][3] The character of Jeremy was intended as a parody of public intellectuals and polymaths, most notably theatrical director and physician Jonathan Miller, with whom story writer Lee Minoff had previously worked.[4] He is also alleged to have been inspired by Cambridge poet J.H. Prynne.[5]

the article it cites is this https://www.poetryfoundation.org/articles/69662/that-room-in-cambridge

which isn't a great read
Oh, it was Ian

Benny Bunter

Oh right, I'll have a look

I must say, you come across some really bizarre stuff when you're looking around the internet for Prynne related stuff. A large portion of his fanbase seem to be total nutters.

Benny Bunter

Those Glossator essays seem to be really good. I just read Word Order earlier and now I'm having a go at the essay from there about it - I hadn't picked up on any of that stuff in there! Doesn't help that I haven't read heidigger either. Still, good stuff.

Benny Bunter

I really feel like I need to read heidigger and Wordsworth now, they keep cropping up in the critical literature I've seen about Prynne and I'm just lost.

Benny Bunter

Well, it would help reading all these essays at the very least

Word Order, apparently, has all these quotations from work songs and references to Heidigger, stuff about the Nazis and concentration camps etc. I would never have picked up on any of that from just reading it.

luka

Yeah I know but you're never going to have the reading to pick out everything in Prynne because he's read more than anyone that ever lived

luka

And I'm very sceptical about how much those essays add to the experience of reading Prynne. I love the essays. I think they're fascinating in their own right but I rarely find them convincing and even when they are I'm not sure they add anything. It remains mysterious.

luka

You can buy the annotated oval window and discover he quotes from a review of a zz top concert in the times, that's interesting and funny but is it helpful or necessary?

Benny Bunter

I get what you're saying. I do think knowing all this stuff can add another dimension to it, but then again it could take away from or colour the actual reading experience in a way, the immediate effect it has as you read him.

Benny Bunter

"Regarding ‘blow’ it may be worth
divulging that Prynne is a keen amateur recorder player, the proud
possessor of a Dolmetsch instrument, and plays with astonishing
aggression. He is the Albert Ayler of the recorder, and the final poem
of Word Order is not too violent to describe his musical performance."

:ROFLMAO: