Benny Bunter

There's no way 'quality' can ever be pinned down to one thing, he uses it in so many ways. Sometimes it seems like a positive thing, other times negative. Dialectical innit.

luka

speaking of the educated and how irritating they are i was with science sam today and hes been chatting to prynne on the emails

luka

oxford.... and havard no less....no one should be allowed to go to school it should be banned like the taliban do

Benny Bunter

probably comes from qualia which is a term used in classical philosophy for sense data / sense impressions

quality (n.)​

c. 1300, qualite, "temperament, character, disposition," from Old French calite, qualite "quality, nature, characteristic" (12c., Modern French qualité), from Latin qualitatem (nominative qualitas) "a quality, property; nature, state, condition" (said [Tucker, etc.] to have been coined by Cicero to translate Greek poiotēs), from qualis "what kind of a" (from PIE root *kwo-, stem of relative and interrogative pronouns).

In early use, and for long thereafter, with awareness of the word's use in Aristotelian philosophy. From late 14c. as "an inherent attribute," also "degree of goodness or excellence." Meaning "social rank, position" is c. 1400, hence "nobility, gentry." From 1580s as "a distinguished and characteristic excellence."

Noun phrase quality time "time spent giving undivided attention to another person to build a relationship" is recorded by 1977. Quality of life "degree to which a person is healthy and able to participate in or enjoy life events" is from 1943. Quality control "maintenance of desired quality in a manufactured product" is attested from 1935.

woops

is not like other people
speaking of the educated and how irritating they are i was with science sam today and hes been chatting to prynne on the emails
Can't bear the thought that someone knows something he doesn't. Not only upsets him but invalidates his whole reality.

Benny Bunter

This, from the beginning of the poem...

"..the continuance of quality could in some way be that, the time of accord"

.. and quality time "time spent giving undivided attention to another person to build a relationship"

..I think ties in with my interpretation of the poem, the longing for sympathy and understanding between people, and the seeming impossibility of it in our time, at least.