luka

we'll have another crack at pollen soon. ive never read it seriously myself. i havent progressed that far. im still struggling with much more straightforward stuff.

luka

i was saying to poetix a few years ago the internet makes prynnes poetry possible in a way it never was before

linebaugh

prynnebig.jpg

cant get over this pic

luka

I took a TS Eliot class in college and couldnt imagine that without the internet

it's musical though. it hypnotises you without any need to worry about what it means. there's lots of lovely attention to sound in prynne but its not a narcotic in the same way

linebaugh

Eliot had to release explainer notes for the wasteland. Apparently half of it was in latin and referenced books of which only one copy existed and etc.

luka

Eliot had to release explainer notes for the wasteland. Apparently half of it was in latin and referenced books of which only one copy existed and etc.

we explain it all here

luka

it's a fine performance from me on that thread. i thought i'd been totally braindead all year but clearly ive had the odd lucid moment.

luka

"I am rather frequently accused of having more or less altogether taken leave of discernible sense. In fact I believe this accusation to be more or less true, and not to me alarmingly so, because what for so long has seemed the arduous royal road into the domain of poetry ("what does it mean?") seems less and less an unavoidably necessary precondition for successful reading. "

from the chicago lecture on youtube

version

Smaller than the Radius of the Planet

There is a patch like ice in the sky this
evening & the wind tacks about, we are
both stopped/fingered by it. I lay out my
unrest like white lines on the slope, so that
something out of broken sleep will land
there. Look up, a vale of sorrow opened by
eyes anywhere above us, the child spread out
in his memory of darkness. And so, then, the
magnetic influence of Venus sweeps its
shiver into the heart/brain or hypothalamus,
we are still here, I look steadily at nothing.
"The gradient of the decrease may be de-
termined by the spread in intrinsic lumin-
osities"—the ethereal language of love in
brilliant suspense between us and the
hesitant arc. Yet I need it too and keep
one hand in my pocket & one in yours,
waiting for the first snow of the year.

woops

is not like other people
But really, I've caught flack from two posters now, safe to say this is a persecution.

I'm not looking at this stuff like a math problem here. Im trying to get close. Im trying to live in it, put it on like a woolly sweater. Im not satisfied with taking To Pollen out to some meadow, giving it a stern once over and then going on my merry way, excusing off the whole piece as some wacky exercise by a preternaturally sensitive madman. In fact, reading To Pollen and not taking my prescription- monitoring word frequency, translating the language and etc.- thats the perversion! We should all be gravely concerned for @woops and @pattycakes_
well i meant perversity on Prynne's part not yours! I've got no interest in persecuting anyone and you would probably beat me in a fight or in a textual analysis competition, but come to my house anyway and I'll make you a nice cup of tea

woops

is not like other people
i thought that the book needed making up to a certain size so he added them more or less for a laugh?