Benny Bunter

Mine's coming this weekend I think.

Ha ha that dune quail eggs essay is brilliant, could there be any truth to it? Not that it matters I suppose. Is that poem in the yellow book,? I really wanna read it now

luka

there certainly could be some truth in it, but im not sure how much it would even affect the way you read the poem,
it remanis just a load of words

woops

is not like other people
no. since the last edition of the yellow book prynne has gone senile and his exploitative young handlers are publishing any old drivel under his name, roughy 30 books in the last 3 years

Benny Bunter

Oh no really?
I read that there's a big book of his collected essays in the works, that could be something to look forward to I suppose

luka

well, nobody is quite sure whats going on with the recent outpouring of pamphlets. some of them i quite like. collected essays would be great, so would correspondance with ed dorn

woops

is not like other people
Yes I'm being silly, there has been an incredible "late flowering" of new books recently. 30 is not much of an exaggeration

luka

dont think too hard about it or youll never turn the page. probably just a hipster quirk he picked up off olson

Benny Bunter

RE: 'meniscus', I read this today

Derived from the Greek word mēniskos (crescent), a diminutive of mēnē (moon), 'meniscus' has at least three operative meanings here: in physics, it refers to the curved upper surface of a liquid in a tube; in optics, it is a lens that is convex on one side and concave on the other; while anatomically, it is a thin fibrous cartilage between the surfaces of some joints, such as the knee. All involve bending away from something, or a 'deflexion of energy.' But this is more than metaphor - the material elements are not merely figurative and neither discourse is simply the tenor of the other. The abruptness and frequency of the shifts between them prevents any ranking of cause and effect to establish itself, as their dialogic relationship deconstructs any pre-existing assumption about hierarchies. The cumulative effect of such parataxis, in which the figurative refuses to be purely metaphorical, is that whatever linguistic hierarchy seems to have been previously established is instantly undermined.

Benny Bunter

I only learned what 'parataxis' meant a few weeks ago when reading something about Larry Eigner. Equal weight given to all the words, kind of. It's a useful word to talk about poetry now that I know what it means

parataxis
/ˌparəˈtaksɪs/

noun
GRAMMAR
  1. the placing of clauses or phrases one after another, without words to indicate coordination or subordination, as in Tell me, how are you?