luka

My angle is that your genius resides in
a)the commitment to the role (which includes the capacity for auto hypnosis)
b)the language performance

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And now the task is to be able to toggle it on and off, to oscillate between this compulsion to progress and the state of will-less ataraxia.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Really the pejorative or diminutive connotations of the "auto-hypnosis" diagnosis are relative to the perspective of the allotelic being, i.e. someone for whom the notion of absolute meaning has not disappeared. From the autotelic perspective, at least in my case, the auto-hypnosis is understood rather grandly as the ability to create and preserve meaning on an operational basis.

That said, I still swing back into allotelic territory now and then, namely when I operate under the supposition that the energy of the universe is destined to evolve into higher forms of complexity and efficiency.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Connotations aside though, auto-hypnosis is an accurate way of describing it. The task here is to not let it veer into psychosis.

Benny Bunter

Really the pejorative or diminutive connotations of the "auto-hypnosis" diagnosis are relative to the perspective of the allotelic being, i.e. someone for whom the notion of absolute meaning has not disappeared. From the autotelic perspective, at least in my case, the auto-hypnosis is understood rather grandly as the ability to create and preserve meaning on an operational basis.

That said, I still swing back into allotelic territory now and then, namely when I operate under the supposition that the energy of the universe is destined to evolve into higher forms of complexity and efficiency.
What's the name of this prynne poem?

luka

here's something for Stanley, though like all of us he hates anything that threatens his buzz

'die a millionaire offers an implicit comparison between different self-optimising systems suggesting the dangers of too easy analogy between biological evolution, technological adaptation and other forms of 'progress''.

luka

'the prime joy of
control engineering is what they please
to denote (through the quartzite window) 'self-
optimising systems' which they like
to consider as a plan for the basic
living unit. And thus 'accelerating the con-
vergence of function' we come to our
maximal stance..

Imperialism was just
an old, very old name for that
idea, that what you want, you by
historic process or just readiness
to travel, also 'need' - and
need is of course the sacred daughter
through which you improve by
becoming more extensive. Competitive
expansion: if you can designate a
prime direction, as Drang nach Osten
or the Western Frontier, that's to purify
the idea by recourse to History

before it happens'

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah I think you're gonna run into limitations no matter what tech analogies you're using to understand non-tech things.

luka

one of the questionable gifts Prynne gave me was a lesson about bursting your own bubble, spoiling your own high

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
one of the questionable gifts Prynne gave me was a lesson about bursting your own bubble, spoiling your own high
But I'd say doing it sustainably is the trick, weaving this bursting into a longer trend of inflation and deflation, not unlike models of economic growth.