catalog

He seems more concerned to state and restate how right he is, rather than provide any evidence, beyond weirdos on twitter. You can't really use people on twitter to make a point.

catalog

I do get this slow Creep of stuff happening. Like we were at an outdoor drink and eat thing in Manchester, and for some reason you got told off if you smoked at your booked table. You had to go and stand near the toilets in a pen. Even though everyone is outside. Just makes no sense.

catalog

But this is the sort of level of oppression I can see. It's not really a big deal. I mean you can go raving again now if you've got jabbed I think. And you can go on holiday. Although it's all a bit stressful still and expensive.

IdleRich

IdleRich
who is william kent? can someone give me a quick run down. seems ok... but is he from kent?

1627820719429.jpeg

Chiswick House is a Palladian villa in Chiswick, in the west of London, England. A "glorious" example of Neo-Palladian architecture in London, the house was built and designed by Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington (1694-1753), and completed in 1729. The house and gardens occupy 26.33 hectares if I remember correctly; the gardens were created mainly by architect and landscape designer William Kent. The garden is one of the earliest examples of the English landscape garden.

wild greens

I'm more of the opinion that a lot of this anti-lockdown situation is being allowed to happen as its a good distraction and fosters a nice divisive outlook amid the more curious/reactionary in the population

If you are fighting a non-specific elite under the concept that they are creating a tiered society, then it's a lot easier for the actual ruling government and their funding wing to divvy out huge non-tender PPE contracts, for example.

There is a lot of genuine angst lately about the Tory's new anti-protest laws, as well, but the so-called freedom marches are allowed to happen without hiccup or disruption

If i tried to set up a fiscal anti-trust demonstration there's no way that'd get over the line. Not that i could be arsed, but still

There is certainly a lot going on, though. More than meets the eye i think

wild greens

Substack's venture capital funding is pretty odd. I was surprised when Cummings started posting on it given the historical Chinese ties and I'm pretty sure Peter Chernin is quite strongly "left" as well. I guess it pays well but I wouldn't have assumed its that well-aligned with that totalitarian article either

I dont know who that writer is tbh so wont be sarky about it

IdleRich

IdleRich
There is a lot of genuine angst lately about the Tory's new anti-protest laws, as well, but the so-called freedom marches are allowed to happen without hiccup or disruption
But that doesn't mean that they won't be used in the fullest and most draconian way in the future, letting things slide a bit now is quite conceivably to get people's guard down.

john eden

male pale and stale
People who have been silent about state abuses of power are suddenly all "Auschwitz!" when it personally inconveniences them? Get a grip.

wild greens

But that doesn't mean that they won't be used in the fullest and most draconian way in the future, letting things slide a bit now is quite conceivably to get people's guard down.

Like everything they will be ignored when its politically expedient to do so, and when its something that can cause the tories a bit of trouble then out come the riot shields.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
...once it seems entirely reasonable it will be too late
Something to be said for this logic, regarding climate change, public rule encroaching on private liberties, etc.

The ones who act alarmed before the bulk of the crowd does, necessarily come across to the bulk as overreactive precisely because the bulk themselves aren't acting alarmed. The difficulty: distinguishing between outliers with foresight and outliers without.

Could be a matter of how informed they are, but then again you can be well-informed by material that just bolsters whatever you already believed in.

But yeah, holding out for obvious evidence, in some cases, is untenable. One may not believe in climate change until one's drought-warning neighborhood is flooded.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
great reset protesters don't tend to believe in climate change mate
Yeah, every real emergency - catastrophic floods and fires, the pandemic, whatever - is seen as being either greatly exaggerated or cooked up from nothing in order to justify such truly Stalinist assaults on their personal liberty as the discontinuation of filament light bulbs or being asked to wear a loose-fitting cloth mask in supermarkets.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
great reset protesters don't tend to believe in climate change mate
I was highlighting a conceptual similarity between them, namely an alarm regarding something that not everyone would consider evident. I tend to take climate change seriously, but take the great reset-adjacent claims with a grain of salt.

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

Yeah, every real emergency - catastrophic floods and fires, the pandemic, whatever - is seen as being either greatly exaggerated or cooked up from nothing in order to justify such truly Stalinist assaults on their personal liberty as the discontinuation of filament light bulbs or being asked to wear a loose-fitting cloth mask in supermarkets.
Do you not remember being recently imprisoned in your home, prevented from seeing family, travelling etc?