craner

Beast of Burden

They probably imagine that it's going to be The War Room, but it's going to be The Office , isn't it?

I remember a film crew following Oona King around in the 2005 Bethnal Green and Bow election campaign and I ended up on camera a few times, although I never saw the finished item and it seems to have disappeared without trace.

Of course, New Labour already had its War Room pastiche broadcast in 1997:

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
The only way you get a War Room made about you is if you are ruthlessly focused and have the wind of destiny in your sails. To put it politely, this does not describe the Starmer team. In some ways it could be really great, in the same way that the 1993 Blur film Starshaped is: documenting a collective nervous breakdown, an epochal group disintegration.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not aware of anyone in the shadow cabinet or Starmer's immediate circle who's evenly amusingly unpleasant enough to make a good Alastair Campbell/Malcolm Tucker character.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I’m enjoying the attempt of some kind of public rehabilitation with Campbell, a human deserving of culling if ever there was one
I actually like his stuff on mental health. He comes over well when discussing that, and I like how open he is about his difficulties. It's the shadow of all the Malcolm Tucker machismo.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Outcomes from catastrophic foreign policies override Campbell’s demons, outcomes that have been epically deadly while Campbell is probably sitting on a sizeable retirement stack

He sold his soul, he knew exactly what he was buying into

IdleRich

IdleRich
Campbell is just one of a million old school arseholes who has been on the right side of a few arguments lately. Basically it happens a lot cos Johnson, Hancock, Gove etc always contrive to be on the wrong side. I guess the point is to separate the argument from the person making it, we all know that of course but we all struggle to do it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hence the Daily Mash article, "Labour to just give up and ask Tony Blair if he wants to be leader again", or whatever it was.

With Campbell, every time he says anything on Twitter about Johnson, or Trump, or Brexit, or almost anything at all, his critique is something no remotely progressive person could disagree with, but there's always a chorus line of people in the replies just going "yeah but Iraq". And then, I imagine, folding their arms and nodding to themselves at a job well done.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I guess the moral there is "don't tell colossal lies with massive far reaching consequences that will destroy your credibility forever" cos they might destroy your credibility.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Hence the Daily Mash article, "Labour to just give up and ask Tony Blair if he wants to be leader again", or whatever it was.

With Campbell, every time he says anything on Twitter about Johnson, or Trump, or Brexit, or almost anything at all, his critique is something no remotely progressive person could disagree with, but there's always a chorus line of people in the replies just going "yeah but Iraq". And then, I imagine, folding their arms and nodding to themselves at a job well done.

Not “just going” Tea, like an army of self satisfied cunts, not that I do Twitter

The man has hundreds of thousands of deaths on his obituary list. Bowling up on the One Show and talking to the “nation” about mental health is the work of incredulously staggering (and creepy) hubris. The Iraq/Afghan situation works both ways - galactic sized sums of financial waste (80£billion?) that could’ve added x/y/z to critical infrastructure...eg reforming the mental health sector, hospitals, schools, the list is endless. Add veteran’s mental health and homelessness? Veteran suicide rates?

It’s not character assassination, it’s someone who should be on trial for war crimes

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not “just going” Tea, like an army of self satisfied cunts, not that I do Twitter

The man has hundreds of thousands of deaths on his obituary list. Bowling up on the One Show and talking to the “nation” about mental health is the work of incredulously staggering (and creepy) hubris. The Iraq/Afghan situation works both ways - galactic sized sums of financial waste (80£billion?) that could’ve added x/y/z to critical infrastructure...eg reforming the mental health sector, hospitals, schools, the list is endless. Add veteran’s mental health and homelessness? Veteran suicide rates?

It’s not character assassination, it’s someone who should be on trial for war crimes
To be clear, I'm not justifying the war. It's just frustrating to see it as the default response from people who probably agree with what he's actually saying.

But maybe it's such a huge stain on him that it's not helpful to have him making those arguments at all.

DannyL

Wild Horses

Yeah I knew someone would refer to Iraq in the reply. I wonder how it sits with him now and if its a contributory factor to his depression.

DannyL

Wild Horses
It wouldn't be a formative factor as he's had it all his life, I meant I wonder how that refracts through a depressive's mental lens.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
If there’s a sociopath in there, this has been years in planning

Even a depressed sociopath warrants duty of care, but would you want to sit in the same room with him? Fuck that, pass. He revelled in the hot spot, let him do some actual community service. All the Burnley golem football yak, could’ve been Scunthorpe if we’re going for a clean sweep of teams other than West Ham or Villa who play in claret and blue. That’s a pub quiz answer