Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think Labour conducted themselves very well in their campaign either judging by that anti-Indian leaflet they put out.
Eh, hadn't heard about that - doesn't sound great. Was it anti-Indian-government (which is fair enough, it's pretty terrible), or anti-India in general, or anti-British-Indian-people?

craner

Beast of Burden
Eh, hadn't heard about that - doesn't sound great. Was it anti-Indian-government (which is fair enough, it's pretty terrible), or anti-India in general, or anti-British-Indian-people?

Well it was a bit more nuanced than that, but that actually makes it worse: it was anti-Hindu!

Basically a picture of Johnson shaking hands with Modi beneath the message: ā€œDonā€™t risk a Tory who is not on your sideā€.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well it was a bit more nuanced than that, but that actually makes it worse: it was anti-Hindu!

Basically a picture of Johnson shaking hands with Modi beneath the message: ā€œDonā€™t risk a Tory who is not on your sideā€.
Ugh, that's exactly the sort of shit Galloway's been pulling for years.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I suppose that in a very blunt and literal sort of way, it's fair to say that Modi is not "on the side of" Muslims, whether in India, the UK or anywhere else, because he's a notorious anti-Muslim bigot. But at the very least, it's tone deaf not to consider how that sort of message is going to come across among Muslim and Hindu diaspora communities.

sufi

lala
strange to see the dynastic element at play - Jo Cox's husband got himself cancelled because of work shenanigans, so along comes her sister, possibly lack of political career was an advantage, but generally dynasties in politics are kind of electioneering gimmickry that works out badly in the longer term

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
"The risks to the Labour party of being so empty have been much discussed. But it is high time we also considered the risks to the rest of us of having an opposition that wonā€™t oppose those who aim to destructively remake British society; of having the main progressive political party in this country pandering to the worst kind of regressive politics. The failures we see notched up daily by Starmerā€™s team arenā€™t just political: they are moral."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"The risks to the Labour party of being so empty have been much discussed. But it is high time we also considered the risks to the rest of us of having an opposition that wonā€™t oppose those who aim to destructively remake British society; of having the main progressive political party in this country pandering to the worst kind of regressive politics. The failures we see notched up daily by Starmerā€™s team arenā€™t just political: they are moral."

Is it really controversial to suggest that a lot of Muslims aren't all that keen on Jews, though? And would the Guardian be wringing its hands in this way if anyone had suggested that a lot of Jews aren't too keen on Muslims, or that a lot of non-Jewish white people aren't that keen on Jews or Jews, both of which are true?