George Floyd

sus

F the posts will be uneditable by the time the Brits are up again, well I suppose I'm deleting

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Which is to say that the statistical perspective on policing in America is so divergent from the popular conception, and the activist picture, that the researcher would find such a result "shocking."

Sadly, none of these statistical analyses have had any effect whatsoever on the narrative being pushed in activist circles. Police are racist, end of story, broooo! Why complicate things? End white supremacy now, motherfucker
there's a few things

but first - if you don't have the stomach to stick by it, probably don't say it

it ain't like no one from here is gonna doxx you, it ain't that kind of place

sus

Unfortunately my pseudonym is used pretty widely on the web, and I'd like not to be tied to political stances. I don't think folks here will doxx me; I just don't like unchangeable public records of opinions in the current cultural moment.

sus

I'll happily upload somewhere I can control/delete in the future, and then link to that. It's the loss of control that worries me, not a "lack of stomach to stick by it"

luka

I think it's 12 hours but if their your opinions why not stand by them? This has always been a forum with a lot of far right posters. Big spectrum of opinion.

sus

Yeah it's 100% not the community, everyone's super relaxed here and great. Just want a little... control, as Ian Curtis would put it

padraig (u.s.)

but on to "a few things"

1) the issue has never has been limited to disproportionate killing of unarmed people of color, or black people specifically

police killings are sensational, and they galvanize response like nothing else

but they're only the sharp tip of a criminal justice system stacked against people of color and the poor at every level

2) American police have a long, vicious history of open racism, above and beyond the general racism of society

which ended only recently, easily within living memory. cops here in Chicago were torturing false confessions out of black people in the 80s.

if Americans of color - and white Americans - don't trust police not to be racist, they have only their predecessors to thank

3) don't conflate police brutality with racism. police brutality is an issue with or without racism.

cops kill and injure way too many people in this country, period

4) I'm not going to say every activist everywhere has always been responsible, but let's not pretend this is a one-sided issue

I'll see your BLM and raise you Blue Lives Matter, Fox News, antifa hysteria, assholes in tactical gear and of course, Trump etc

padraig (u.s.)

this "do as much bad as good" line is wrong, I think - not borne out by history

you could have said the same thing about the civil rights movement, especially its more militant end

that's to say no harm is done in the pursuit of good - social relations are messy and imperfect

the BLM etc narrative, it's admittedly not entirely rational

but it's almost impossible to have an entirely rational narrative in anything related to race America

that great historical weight pressing in behind, that depth of toxicity

asking for this of all things to be the exception is asking to be disappointed

padraig (u.s.)

more immediately, I haven't followed this case as closely as others, but I wouldn't bet on their acquittal just yet

the motherfucker that shot Laquan McDonald was convicted of 2nd-degree murder. his sentencing (7 years) was a joke, but he was convicted.

luka

I'm certainly of the opinion that you have the courage of your convictions, say what you think and stand by it. I do find the coyness of the right interesting though. I'd like to understand it. Whether it is that they genuinely feel like dissidents and fear for their safety if exposed, or if it's not comprised of at least some degree of shame and guilt.

luka

I think it is deeply shameful to be anywhere to the right of Jetemy Corbyn personally, but lots of my friends are far right, like Craner and Matthew and so on. I don't ideologically vet my friends

sus

but on to "a few things"

1) the issue has never has been limited to disproportionate killing of unarmed people of color, or black people specifically

police killings are sensational, and they galvanize response like nothing else

but they're only the sharp tip of a criminal justice system stacked against people of color and the poor at every level

2) American police have a long, vicious history of open racism, above and beyond the general racism of society

which ended only recently, easily within living memory. cops here in Chicago were torturing false confessions out of black people in the 80s.

if Americans of color - and white Americans - don't trust police not to be racist, they have only their predecessors to thank

3) don't conflate police brutality with racism. police brutality is an issue with or without racism.

cops kill and injure way too many people in this country, period

4) I'm not going to say every activist everywhere has always been responsible, but let's not pretend this is a one-sided issue

I'll see your BLM and raise you Blue Lives Matter, Fox News, antifa hysteria, assholes in tactical gear and of course, Trump etc

See, every position you put out here I say "yes! and..." to.

The and is, "I know a load of young people, I follow hundreds on social media, they're bright graduates of very good universities, and no, their positions are nothing like yours here, I wish they were"

sus

The libido of this movement is not in checked moderation, it's in excess and hyperbole

Sure, Trumpers aren't any different. But isn't the point that we're supposed to be better?