George Floyd

sus

I guess my stance is apolitical then: I'm just not on board with any movement that propagandistically pushes a false picture of reality.

I'm not "making an exception" as you say Padraig. I'm refusing to make an exception. And that refusal comes at a social cost, because of a fanatical "you're on our team or you're against us" mentality that calls the insertion of nuance into discourse "literal violence."

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not how speech in our culture works. Mayyybe you slide if you go full-blown repentance. People get cancelled for 5-year-old tweets, let's not pretend they don't.

Which is exactly why changing dissensus' edit and delete rules makes no sense to me. It never used to be limited. We're living in very need to be able to delete and edit times. In fact a red button in the user controller panel should be available to wipe your entire history

Plus, what are we? Ilxor??

@sufi

• Haha
Reactions: sus

sus

I'm certainly of the opinion that you have the courage of your convictions, say what you think and stand by it. I do find the coyness of the right interesting though. I'd like to understand it. Whether it is that they genuinely feel like dissidents and fear for their safety if exposed, or if it's not comprised of at least some degree of shame and guilt.

This is so wild to hear that I can only attribute it to British/American stuff. People who were friends of people who espoused wrongthink at my local university were cancelled: kicked out of literary groups and fraternities, questioned by administration, written up in the school paper.

luka

[
This is so wild to hear that I can only attribute it to British/American stuff. People who were friends of people who espoused wrongthink at my local university were cancelled: kicked out of literary groups and fraternities, questioned by administration, written up in the school paper.

Have the courage of your convictions and be cancelled. It's the only ethical path possible.

luka

I think you have a naive view of reality and how it is comprised but you're young and the young have the absolute right and privilege to be naive. And wrong. And foolish. And they should exercise it. And develop a more nuanced and sophisiticated view as they gain experience.

luka

[

Have the courage of your convictions and be cancelled. It's the only ethical path possible.

It don't make sense, going to heaven with the goodie-goodies
Dressed in white, I like black Timbs and black hoodies
God'll prolly have me on some real strict shit
No sleeping all day, no getting my dick licked
Hanging with the goodie-goodies lounging in paradise
Fuck that shit, I wanna tote guns and shoot dice

luka

Let's help suspended reason get cancelled and find the freedom on the far side of fear

sus

Ever since Luka called me a rightwinger I been acting out, but no more

The Party's opinions are my opinions

luka

Your future is secure. Computer man is ultimate freedom. Can work anywhere. Surfeit of opportunities. Surfeit of wealth. And no need to toe any political line. You're expected to be autistic and given huge leeway.

luka

That's the great thing about being a technician. No one cares what you think so long as you make the machine work.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it is deeply shameful to be anywhere to the right of Jetemy Corbyn personally, but lots of my friends are far right, like Craner and Matthew and so on. I don't ideologically vet my friends
Don't pay any attention, @suspendedreason. Luka is a dyed-in-the-wool conservative. He considers Peter Hitchens "the only authentic voice of the British people" and has said so many times.

luka

I do think that Hitxhens is positioning himself as a Revolutionary Leader of the Dissidents thiugh. Funny, cos his brother was the ultimate insider.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
@suspendedreason, might pull you back in, because I am trying (seemingly like you are) to develop some kind of voice, or discourse, that avoids alienating as many people as possible, left and right, and it all needs to be (almost brutally) genuine.

If you haven't already, I would recommend feeling out the dirtbag left, the reactionary left, the anti-woke left, and those associated with those circles. Not sure how self-ascribed these labels are, but they make sense: Dirtbag left applies to those who hold progressive beliefs but do not constrain themselves in terms of tone and language - they pretty much pass, in casual conversation, as right wing; the reactionary left applies to those who think we need a return to class-based politics, rather than broader identity/intersectional politics (or "cultural revisionism" as I call it, which is a more neutral term than cancel culture)

We can see how the dirtbag left (Red Scare, to name a couple, although again, not sure if they would apply it themselves) kinda bridges certain gaps between right and left, seeing as much of the right-based opposition to the left is almost purely because of the censorship the left applies to itself.

The reactionary left is more interesting, I think, especially when it doesn't reject the conversation/discourse on privilege - which I think is an important conversation, yes, for political reasons, but also for philosophical reasons. Acknowledging privilege prevents people from assuming their lives are universally experienced, that everyone else has the wherewithal to do what they do, and that if they don't its because of poor character. I can easily make the case that this is a good thing to bear in mind across the board, but everything can be harped on too much.

I guess what I'd be interested in would be elaborating a post-woke ideological position or set of positions, one that preserves an awareness of privilege and can connect with right-wingers. Connect how? Maybe trying to avoid the aesthetics of the left, while preserving much of the left's content. Much too right-wing in tone, but a central statement would be "you can be progressive without being a libtard, and conservative without being a MAGAtard". Perhaps something of a pill cleanse, but in such a way that doesn't require an ultimate pill?

One of the reasons I was, and still marginally am, interested in Curtis Yarvin, is because he seemed to command an appeal to some kind of dissident right that somehow neighbored the peripheral left circles I mentioned.

"Anti-woke" I think is a step in the wrong direction. Post-woke doesn't reject, but matures from.

luka

Constant escape how intense do you find the pressure to conform politically? I've got a friend from Texas and he's always telling me I can't possibly understand how it has saturated everything so it's a constant relentless mantra in your head saying obey obey obey but I've always assumed he is being hysterical and also that he probably just wants to be openly racist and resents not being allowed to.