George Floyd

luka

To my mind it seems racism and reactionary sentiment generally is far more acceptable and mainstream that ever before in my lifetime. As vimothy is always telling me racism is cool now. I

luka

I'm also interested in how the pressure is applied. Is it peer to peer or is it more a 'big other' scenario. I don't feel any pressure to conform to some liberal Nazi rule book so it's hard for me to grasp it.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Constant escape how intense do you find the pressure to conform politically? I've got a friend from Texas and he's always telling me I can't possibly understand how it has saturated everything so it's a constant relentless mantra in your head saying obey obey obey but I've always assumed he is being hysterical and also that he probably just wants to be openly racist and resents not being allowed to.
I surely feel this, but its also easy for me to fall in line with most of it, because of how/where I was raised, family of artists, southern california.

I don't feel the pressure as most do because for the last year and a half I've been pretty hermetic, socially. I ditched the smart phone two years ago, and that pretty much amounted to chopping a limb off. That, plus not using social media, largely spares me from the kind of pressure your friend is talking about - but I wouldn't say he is overreacting. I've felt it from both sides: positive, as a genuine burning drive to reconcile with the oppressed, and purge myself of colonial/oppressive values; and negative, as an intoxicating and blinding kind of hysteria that keeps you under the heels of fear. Either way, its powerful. I try to preserve both sides, so I can tap into them as need be.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I'm also interested in how the pressure is applied. Is it peer to peer or is it more a 'big other' scenario. I don't feel any pressure to conform to some liberal Nazi rule book so it's hard for me to grasp it.
Can the peer be a proxy for the big other? I might argue that is how it works. Or maybe that is what big other already means.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To my mind it seems racism and reactionary sentiment generally is far more acceptable and mainstream that ever before in my lifetime. As vimothy is always telling me racism is cool now. I
This is a strange statement. Sitcoms made within the last two decades are being cancelled because of racist content (or content perceived to be racist).

Reactions: sus

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
"I know a load of young people, I follow hundreds on social media, they're bright graduates of very good universities, and no, their positions are nothing like yours here, I wish they were"
I'm not super concerned with what they think, compared to people who live in communities that bear the brunt of police brutality

which, barring deliberate choice or the possible odd exception, bright graduates of very good universities do not

"Black Lives Matter" may come out of Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and Eric Garner, but this struggle has been going on for much, much longer

Isaac Woodard, Rodney King, Abner Louima, Rekia Boyd, Freddie Grey, Philando Castile, all the names stretching back

the educated classes chattering on social media are welcome support as far as it goes but they don't own or define it

padraig (u.s.)

I'm not "making an exception" as you say Padraig
I never said that, nor is that how I would put it

what I might say is that activism is like everything else in life - you choose the compromises you can live with in pursuit of your goals

as far as the social cost, well - choose the compromises you can live with

if you want to choose your livelihood (or whatever) over speaking your mind, do so and live with the decision

I won't judge you, I ain't walked in your shoes

but people are out here losing their lives and loved ones not only to death but to imprisonment, trauma, fear. social costs concern me less.

padraig (u.s.)

"pushing a false picture of reality" seems like a pretty naive line from a person versed in all kinds of high-minded philosophy etc

who does not push their own view of reality, shape it to their narrative? who is this person or entity with unvarnished view of truth?

history being not what happened, but a set of neverending arguments about what happened

that's especially true for any race discourse which, as I did say, it's virtually impossible to make entirely rational in America

which is not to say I cosign everything your acquaintances say on Twitter or whatever

have you ever been involved with decentralized activism? this is how it is. you can't control what everyone says. that's the point.

Leo

not sure that racism and reactionary sentiment is generally far more acceptable here. it's not that it's any more or less acceptable, it's just that social media has enabled people with those sentiments to now broadcast them to the world. prevalence of message and level of acceptance of message are two different things.

maybe it's just that formerly closeted racists are now emboldened to use the facebook megaphone, as opposed to the message of racism being more accepted.

I'm probably not being clear, just speculating that maybe there are roughly the same number of racists now as before, but more of them are speaking out. that doesn't mean what they say is being more widely accepted by America society at large.

padraig (u.s.)

social media has enabled people with those sentiments to now broadcast them to the world
that is certainly true

but even beyond that, racism and reactionary sentiments are more publicly acceptable now than at any time I can remember

however, at the same time they're also less publicly acceptable than at any time I can remember

which seems confusing but really isn't, it's just context-dependent

padraig (u.s.)

I'm a Jacobin
when the revolution began to eat itself they were the first to be sent to the guillotine themselves, usually by each other

which is why you need some kind of post-revolutionary plan beyond "kill the king [or whatever equivalent]"