George Floyd

luka

Yes, there is an industry around it. Tiers of grifters. There's a huge amount of cant and so on. But so what?

sus

and like, I'm totally on-board with taking down Confederate statues. the monuments and icons we keep around us are a reflection of our values as a society.

but the parallels with iconoclasm are stark

1598400085508.png

sus

@padraig (u.s.) I certainly can use anecdote. The point was not that lefties are more racist than libertarians at a statistical level. The point was that a blanket association of political affiliation to racism is part of the left's delusions of grandeur, and the loads of anecdotal exceptions testify to this

sus

the main book, the bestseller of this entire phenomenon, that has given rise to the phrase "white fragility" is by a grifter

half of the movement is grifters

sus

antiracism has delegitimized itself

I'll show myself out, and let history file the final record

luka

As I was saying to Danny I don't think your values should be determined by your attitude towards the people espousing those values.

No one like the left as human beings. Not even the left. It's irrelevant. You don't have to be friends with them. You either think we should get free stuff and sock it to the man or you don't. That's the only thing that matters.

linebaugh

Im not sure libertarianism is opposed to leftism. The libertarian strain in the whatever you want to call the actual-left seems to be the dominant milleu. I guess I'm not entirely sure what your point is @suspendedreason, half the left can be insufferable but that still doesn't delegitmize the values

constant escape

winter withered, warm
the last refuge of the scoundrel is whatever can be repackaged and sold for a dollar
(currently drunk)

Which is, largely, in this case, anti-racism, no? Businesses tossing up a few words about BLM. Shrink that down to the individual size, and we have people merely trying to survive socially - nothing to hold against anyone.

Not trying to work against you - I don't seem to oppose your spirit. In fact, while I am still in the process of understanding your "spirit", I think I can identify with you in very important ways.

@vimothy, do you mean, the last refuge, today? or the last refuge, period?

If you mean the former: Then it seems we are playing along with meta-narratives, and something about our current state of woke capitalism marks an ultimate stage, an ultimate ideological playing field for neoliberal players to appeal to and capitalize from. Please, feel free to engage in pedantry with me. This would mean that if you could master the language/sensibility/aesthetics of wokeness, you've more or less won.

If you mean the latter: then it seems we are at one stage in an infinite series of stages, every revolution shifting the compost bin such that different things carry different values upon every shift. If anti-racism is the current last refuge for the scoundrel, what might the next be? What was the previous? I don't mean these as purely rhetorical questions, but I'm also not trying to press an answer out of you.

edit: that is, in as far as normative morality develops, there is at all times a trend to be ascertained. At this time, it is anti-racism. That is not to say that all anti-racism is trend-appealing, but that the key trend-appealing is anti-racism. I think everything I am arguing can be argued from a position of anti-bigotry, most generally, because that is a position I readily take.