George Floyd

vimothy

yurp
it relates to ppl finding themselves adopting conservative positions, or feeling alienated from the left, I think

luka

If you used to government handouts and killing the rich then you should still like those things. You can't start wearing a tweed blazer and a bow tie just cos of some hysterical students

sus

What do you want me to do

Vote for Joe Biden? Go chant "Black lives matter" to a wall of stonefaced police officers?

I'm an advocate of Rawls's invisible veil. that alone should be enough for any prog-head doubting my ideological bent. But what're you gonna do in a world such as ours?

sus

You don't want to hear my real opinions about these things

If you start getting into utilitarianism and Peter Singer, shit gets weird

luka

It's like going oh I've become a racist cos the anti racists were doing my head in with all their whinging. You've either got principles or you don't.

sus

I'm definitely not racist and not interested in racism nor racists. The problem is thinking that all conservatives are racist, and only good lefties are opposed

sus

The libertarians I know are far, far less racist than most of the cultural lefties I know

Indeed, one theory I have is that all this anti-racism stuff is a projection, like these people have fucked up thoughts and opinions about minorities and internally chastise themselves and then it comes out as yelling at other people

vimothy

yurp
it might be more likely that someone's going to decide that *about* you rather than you decide it for yourself

sus

what I want is a synthesis of libertarianism, Singer-style expanding circle, and Rawls style invisible veil.

end the animal genocide now!! it's the biggest tragedy of the 21st century

vimothy

yurp
one theory I have is that all this anti-racism stuff is a projection, like these people have fucked up thoughts and opinions about minorities and internally chastise themselves and then it comes out as yelling at other people
def seems like there's a religious element to american anti-racism

Reactions: sus

sus

John McWhorter was my linguistics prof for a semester, teaches creole languages, and his point was always that anti-racism is the great Protestant Revival, a third awakening on the continent

vimothy

yurp
5682fd070c487aeb219f2e43e276bf1188b2bf12

sus

and let's not forget that consultants are cashing in for millions of dollars on corporate anti-bias training programs to fight phenomena that have repeatedly failed replication in peer review

1598399831969.png

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The libertarians I know are far, far less racist than most of the cultural lefties I know
you can't really come on the one hand and say but statistics, manipulation, false picture of reality

then come on the other anecdotally with actual leftists are the ones who are racist (not an original line btw)