forclosure

Isn't that how it's always been? It's not as though the entire world was fixated on Joyce when he published Ulysses. People were doing stuff all over the place and Bely had written Petersburg years before. It's obviously intensified and become even more fragmented now, but we're looking back as though the avant -garde was the handful of artists who ended up being canonised and nothing was happening outside of that select group.
yes which is exactly what right now as much as i sigh and i think its embarassing that white people now are going hard to try and subvert and rearrange this idea of a canon or even better do away with a canon entirely

forclosure

the reason i say it's embarassing is cause all along people knew alot of these things and narratives were wrong or not the truth but they kept peddling it against their better judgement or took the Blairite labour POV in saying the did up the figures and their hands were tied, nothing could be done

then shock horror these things are knocked down overnight

luka

You'd prefer they kept the canon?

forclosure

for the people who play games in here i'd be curious to see what you lot think of Pathologic, been meaning to get around to playing both games for ages since i have them

forclosure

i'm surprised you didn't pick my list or was it too much of a gut punch to the forum?

linebaugh

VR will change everything eventually, I think. It's at a very early stage now but once the technology has advanced enough, and become cheap enough to be used by everyone.. There's probably VR art exhibitions already but at the moment I'd assume the cost of making VR art is high, and perhaps the technological knowledge needed to, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's as interesting as art as Disney films are as cinema.
I've seen 2 VR art installations- one you put on the set and become a basketball. Then Jeremy Lin comes out, dribbles you, and shoots you through the hoop. This was at the Guggenheim. The other was this narrative puzzle game that took place in some vapour wave looking space that seemed cool but glitched up on me

mvuent

Void Dweller

saw this a year ago. it was quite cool to see art from an artist i already really liked in 3D, but imo not immersive enough to be mind blowing.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
What about the toxic message board as the culture for the next avant-garde? Trolling as high art? Talk about scary.

It bleeds into someone's point about the terrorist replacing the artist. Perhaps the troll plays the role in cyberspace that the terrorist plays in meatspace? Two forms of the next stage of avant-garde?

linebaugh

What about the toxic message board as the culture for the next avant-garde? Trolling as high art? Talk about scary.

It bleeds into someone's point about the terrorist replacing the artist. Perhaps the troll plays the role in cyberspace that the terrorist plays in meatspace? Two forms of the next stage of avant-garde?
In that it feeds into acts of stochastic terrorism, yah. Small isolated acts completely disrupt the entire social field, if avant garde=disruptive. I'm pretty much never comfortable in a movie theater. When I saw the joker movie the guy behind me started making strange popping noises with his mouth during the films climax and I thought I was going to die.