Duolingo

Benny Bunter

Was gonna say, best thing is to get yourself a foreign girlfriend, but that won't work if you stay in England cos they'll just want to to practice their English on you all the time.

luka

so i hear. entertainment was speaking danish to a norweigan and they understood each other. same kind of thing.

Benny Bunter

Very similar temperaments as well.

I can read Portuguese pretty easily but can't understand a word when I hear it, strangely, I think it's cos they're quite a sleepy slow people, not hotblooded like the Italians and spanish

Benny Bunter

Yeah exactly! Was gonna say, when I went to Lisboa I thought it sounded like russian, was quite surprised. Written down it looks pretty much exactly like Spanish but they put the letter M instead of N, but it sounds completely different.

luka

their accent when they speak english too. much harder edged than the fey lisping spanish. doesnt have that high pitched speedy gonzalez comic aspect either. ariba ariba!

Benny Bunter

Yeah it's really weird, I wonder why that is. I imagine it's really hard to learn how to speak it.

Spanish is the easiest probably, once you've learned the sounds of the syllables they correspond exactly with how they're written so even if you don't know what a word means you can pronounce it properly. English is a fucking nightmare for foreigners to learn cos you have no way of knowing how to pronounce a word correctly just by reading it.

Benny Bunter

French is really hard. I was quite good at it at school, but I just feel embarrassed trying to speak it. With Spanish you can just give it a go and not feel so self conscious. Plus the Spanish have a good natured sense of humour so they won't turn up their nose at you and make you feel stupid, unlike the french

luka

dont say that. it will give woops a big head. its basically just english with a funny accent.

craner

Beast of Burden
Django, Mask of Satan, Rocco and his Brothers, Bird with the Crystal Plumage.

City of the Living Dead and Suspiria are both in English and Battle of Algiers is in French and Arabic.