Duolingo

luka

you said rosselini and pasolini and antonioni are a bit boring, vero? and that fellini is catholic hysteria? that matches my impressions too i have to admit. i watched the leopard. that was good.

luka

thats what i thought. but my sense is that rosselini is more boring. that's my intuition. i think i might have watched a antonioni film starring jack nicholson that was pretty good. about a 7 out of 10.

luka

he did the conformist that version keeps banging on about having seen as if he wants a medal or something? that was pretty boring. @Corpsey did you read craners essay about it?

craner

Beast of Burden
Visconti is the best of the "big boys", followed by Antonioni, then Pasolini, then Rossellini. Then, if you must, fucking Fellini.

version

I thought Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion was better than the Fellini, Pasolini and Antonioni I've seen.

craner

Beast of Burden
I thought Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion was better than the Fellini, Pasolini and Antonioni I've seen.

There's a whole world of Italian films better than almost all of the things made by this lot, apart from Rocco, Medea and a few other things.

luka

like hes just dug up these oversexed idiot boys from the local peasant village, pulled them out of a haystack they were masturbating in

version

like hes just dug up these oversexed idiot boys from the local peasant village, pulled them out of a haystack they were masturbating in

I think he did actually do that with the Trilogy of Life. I read that he'd go to Iran or wherever he was filming and recruit local boys.

craner

Beast of Burden
Seriously, if you look at some of the stuff on that list:

La Dolce Vita - tedious, hysterical
8 1/2 - tedious, solipsistic
Journey to Italy - a waste of time, who cares about your stupid marriage?
La Notte - overrated, the worst of that phase of films
Le Quattro Volte - this was made in 2010 so will basically be a French film
A Special Day - morose, sepia bollocks, almost an insult to Italian cinema
Theorem - good idea, shit film
The Tree of the Wooden Clogs - what the fuck is this?
Marraige Italian Style and Two Women are both bangers, mainly because of Sophia Loren, but four de Sica films on one list is taking the piss
Likewise, listing Rome, Open City, Paisa and Germany Year Zero, which are basically all the same film

version

I haven't seen much Pasolini, but I find his political writing and position as a historical figure much more interesting than his films and don't have much interest in watching the bulk of them. I'd like to see The Gospel According to St. Matthew and maybe Accatone, but the campy sex stuff doesn't appeal to me. I don't particularly want to see Salo either.